Failover-Bond - Balance 710

Hi!

I saw, you added the possibility to create an LACP-bond on Balance 710s. What I would need is a Failover-bond (active/passive) to be able to connect two different switches to the LAN of the 710s.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your help!

You are correct the LACP 802.3ad NIC bonding feature is available with the Balance 305 and up models. High availability is also supported as active/passive using VRRP so you can connect two different switches.

1 Like

Hi!

I think, you are mixing some features/requirements:

LACP can enhance throughput, but both paths need to end on the same switch/stack
→ If the switch/stack has a problem, the router will loose its connection.

VRRP can give redundancy in case of the failure of a device. In that case, all connections will be lost and the second unit can take the IP and the other endpoints can reconnect.

Yes, VRRP also leads to some kind of switch redundancy if the two Balance-routers of the cluster are connected to different switches, BUT: First, all the tunnels are lost.

Active/Passive network bonding would give real switch-redundancy for every single device. In case of a switch-failure, there would not be a failover to the other VRRP-unit.

Isn’t there any possibility to use an active/passive-bond?