Enforced TTL setting on all WAN interfaces

I’d like to request an ability to use the enforced TTL setting for the WAN1-3 connections similar to the setting available in the mobile internet connection under Physical interface settings. i’ve seen other requests for this dating back to 2018 but the responses pointed to the mobile setting, not the WAN1, WAN2, WAN3 connections. I’m currently running v8.1.0 on a balance 20.

Thank you.

1 Like

I request the same feature for WiFi WAN, the ability to set TTL, like I can on cellular.

I am curious as to the use case for this… what problem are you trying to solve? what functionality are you hoping to manipulate with a TTL restriction? Again, asking purely out of curiosity. I was wanting to manipulate the TTL for SSDP multicast discovery so it would traverse VLans, but I can’t wrap my head around why you would want it on LAN. Unless you are in a multi-router setup where WAN->LAN links exist. Thanks in advance for sharing!

There is some conjecture that WISPs might block routers by looking at TTL.

Sounds intriguing. I haven’t heard of that one.

It isn’t so much blocking as detecting tethering to other devices.

Many phone plans in the US have “unlimited” data on the phone itself but quite limited data allowance while tethering. TTL is how some carriers detect the difference. There’s a whole online community dedicated to helping people get online in their rural homes or motor homes. One of the big issues is how to hide the fact that you’re using a modem/router and trick the carrier into thinking you’re on a phone or tablet. Changing IMEI is something lots of people do too although it’s probably illegal.

It’s a bit of a cat and mouse game. I know it sounds crazy but it’s done because legitimate affordable data plans for routers are pretty much non-existent.

This is maddening to hear. The cellular companies need to figure out what product they are gonna sell. If they are selling an internet connection - what do they care if there is 1 or 100 devices on the other end? They limit the connection, so you cannot consume “more” internet than what you paid for; and they also oversubscribe their network - so, you typically can expect much “less” internet than what you paid for.

I am surprised people don’t set up their network to 100% utilize the links they pay for. i.e. Have a VM doing a speedtest on a loop and that data has the lowest priority (speedtest gets slowed down when congestion occurs). If you pay for a 10Mbps connection - you should be able to keep that thing downloading at 10Mbps all day/night/week/month if you wanted. That is what they sold you.

The part that bugs me the most about data caps is that there is nothing the consumer can do to limit the amount of data that gets returned from a web request. If google decides to put a 2GB image on their homepage - what is the consumer supposed to do about it?

Charging more for tether devices makes about as much sense as the water company charging you different rates if you have a shower vs a bathtub.

Seconded! I have a SIM card from a carrier which is only for phone/tablet use and doesn’t permit router use, but they also don’t offer plans or SIM cards for LTE routers. It would be good to have TTL settings on the WAN port and on Wifi as WAN, in case I decide to add in another internet source from a modem hotspot over Wi-Fi.

i’m looking for this setting for usb modems.

Without getting into the tricky issue of how (or whether) to fool carriers, the use case can be rephrased as “the TTL setting is available to the (directly) cellular WANs. In the interest of consistency, that option should be available on all WAN interfaces. Why not?”

Cheers,

Z

3 Likes