EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS, GMAIL DOESN'T ALLOW LESS SECURE APPS?

I am new to PEPEWAVE. We have a Max BR1. Followed instructions to receive email notifications using a new gmail just for this. Some instructions say to go to gmail security and turn on “allow less secure apps”. Gmail doesn’t allow that option any longer. Another post suggested using a gmail third part password. As far as I can tell they don’t allow that any long also. Most instructions are dated 4 or 5 years ago. Gmail stoped allowing less secure apps in May 2022. Is there a work around this or other options?

Thanks
Dave Knight

You can go into the security part of your gmail account and assign an App password for each device you want to use. Works fine from there.

3 Likes

dnavany’s advice does work, but it was a bit difficult for me to find in the Google Account settings page. Go to the Security selection in the Google Account menu, then where it says “2-Step Verification” (whose selection box should be checked), click on the arrow at the far right-end of that line, which opens up a page with many more options. Scroll to the bottom where it says App Passwords and click on the arrow at the end of that line. It will then let you create an app password. Using the drop-down menu by Select App, choose the Mail option. Then using the drop-down menu by Select Device, choose Other (Custom name), and enter a name such as Peplink Router or whatever you want. Then click on the GENERATE button, and it will generate a password that you can copy and past into your router’s SMTP Password field in the Email Notification Setup. Be sure to click on the Save option so that Google will save it.

Steve Westfall

2 Likes