Dual WAN and QoS

Looking for a bit of pre-sales info and have not used the product.

I have a site where failover is required for many reasons, but it’s extra important here as there are daily video broadcasts that have to happen smoothly. We only have two WAN connections available and they are very different. One is a symmetric 50/50, the other is a 200/10. The lower bandwidth connection is the better quality connection so we really have a few needs here:

• In all cases, a few internal IPs should always have top priority
  • If both lines are up, these same IPs should always go out the 50/50 connection
  • If the 50/50 goes down, those same IPs should go out the 200/10 connection, but still have priority
  • In all cases, the next tier of priority should be things like DNS, SSH, VoIP and other time-sensitive traffic, but this is based more on src/dst port or CoS flags, not source or dst IP

I’ve seen some failover/LB products that don’t do well with QoS when you have multiple connections that all have different speeds, or if you want to mix criteria (CoS vs. source IP, as an example).

How do the Peplink products deal with this type of scenario? We’re eyeing the 305 at the moment.

“In all cases, a few internal IPs should always have top priority” - Group Bandwidth Reservation Feature.

“If both lines are up, these same IPs should always go out the 50/50 connection” - Outbound Policy Rules.

“If the 50/50 goes down, those same IPs should go out the 200/10 connection, but still have priority” - Outbound Policy Rules/Group Bandwidth Reservation.

“In all cases, the next tier of priority should be things like DNS, SSH, VoIP and other time-sensitive traffic, but this is based more on src/dst port or CoS flags, not source or dst IP” - QOS Application Rules for src/dst port and Custom Application Rules for DSCP.

3 Likes

This all sounds great, so my next question is, can all these rules/options be stacked/combined?

Yes, certainly. You can place them in any order you wish. When the conditions of a rule are met no further rules are processed so one can, as you say, stack them in priority order. Very powerful. - Rick

2 Likes