DSL/Cable Optimization Pro/Con

I have always had DSL/Cable optimization on since I always had asymmetric ISP connections. Recently our business upgraded to fiber 200/200 but we also have a cable connection that is 250/30. Should I keep DSL/Cable optimization on… or should I turn it off?

The description for this feature is very simple and doesn’t give enough information. I assume this uses some sort of QOS or buffering, but can’t really tell.

If you could provide more detailed info on this feature and a good recommendation of I should keep this feature on or turn it off.

I have a peplink 710 H3 in drop-in mode connected to a Sonicwall 3600.

I’d like to “me too” this - I don’t see any explanation for what this feature does or when to use it. Like the OP, we have sites that are mixed - symmetrical fiber or wireless paired with cable or bonded DSL backup.

1 Like

Please find the help text below. It is designed for the WAN link that has limited upload bandwidth. If your WAN link has adequate upload bandwidth, it is your decision whether to disable it.

1 Like

Two questions remain:

As I asked, how do you apply this to only one connection in the case where we have a symmetric fiber connection with a backup cable or DSL connection?

And what is it doing? I see the help, but that does not explain what’s happening. Is this just prioritizing ACKs?

Yup. That’s exactly what its doing.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! So there’s really no issue with leaving this always checked unless for some reason you don’t want ACKs ahead of other traffic.

If Peplink were really fancy they’d add other stuff to that checkbox - I know one of the open source firewalls (maybe pfSense?) throws DNS, ICMP and a few other things in their default QoS “wizard”. The DNS prioritization PLUS ACKs is really nice.