DSL and Satellite Lines into Peplink Balance 580

Hello everyone,

I posted this back in January, but I don’t think my post was specific enough. I have learned a bit more since the last post.

I am running a Peplink Balance 580.

We are aggregating 5 internet connections:

Satellite 10 mbps UL/DL

and 4 x BELL DSL Lines that basically combine to give us 20mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL speed.

I am using the Peplink to load balance the lines. I am not using SpeedFusion VPN. Everything is hard wired into the Peplink and all systems accessing the Peplink are in the the same building.

When doing speed tests I have noticed the following:

• when I connect the 4 DSL lines to the peplink and connect my laptop directly to the peplink I get speeds ranging from 10 mbps download - 15 mbps downloas with 0.8 mbps upload.

• When I connect the Satellite 10mbps connection to the peplink and connect my laptop directly to the peplink, I get speeds of 10 mbps download and 10 mbps upload.

• When I connect all 5 connections to the WAN ports I get 8.63 MBPS Download and 0.73 MBPS Upload.

Is this a network settings issue on the Peplink, or is the nature of DSL and Satellite connections too different to be effective?

My next questions would be if the answer to question 1 is - do not use all five lines, is it possible to have the Peplink automatically send some traffic through the satellite line (Assigned MAC addresses and IPS) and anything else through the DSL lines?

I would appreciate any assistance on this.

Brian

You can define outbound policy (Weighted Balance) to load balance the network connections/sessions via the 5 WANs.

Detail info please refer to the knowledge base below:

1 Like

It depends on what kind of speedtest you are running, if just a regular browser based test it will most likely be a single session and it wont be taking advantage of all the links.

Search the forums for peplink speed tester, they have made their own multi session executable tester which gives a more realistic view on multiple connections as it can run multiple sessions at once (most browser based testers use a single session so only one stream and therefore through one WAN connection at a time)

The latency on satellite is the biggest downside, usually 800ms upwards on KA band, so even a DSL with less speed on paper can perform better because the latency is usually between 20-50ms. I note you arent using speedfusion but if you were I’d advise you set the satellite link as a backup only as it will drag the rest of the lower latency links down, in some ways you could say the same for load balancing as some traffic could go over satellite and be much slower than the fixed lines.

1 Like