Drop-in mode (br1)

Researched everything I could about drop-in mode yet most relate to the balance and circa 2017. Still have 2 q’s:

1. Can drop-in mode on a br1 mini hw3 be used between a firewall and the ISP without an ISP router? (ie: FIOS Optical Network Terminal ONT) In the field we’re not using the ISPs’ router so essentially it goes lan->firewall->ISP modem or ONT and no NAT is being used as the FW handles NAT - thus the firewall has the external IP.
  • I’ve tried to use the setup in #1 and use the firewall’s externally assigned gateway that FIOS assigns as the drop-in gateway and selected shared IP since there are no other IPs in the equation. Doing so shows no traffic seems to be bridged between LAN/WAN when in this mode.
  1. In case this works, can the BR1 mini HW3 cell WAN be used as a backup wan in case the FIOS goes down?

Thanks

PS - and yes - using latest version 8.4.0.

Yes br1 hw3 supports DIM(drop in mode) we have installed this many location and can assist you.
What firewall are you using?
As a peplink partner, If you need support we can provide sale of the equipment and support after the sale.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for replying. My question wasn’t if DIM can be used or not, as I know it can, but if it can be used in that specific environment listed in #1 (as all docs and forum posts mentioned a router between it and the isp) as well as if question #2 applies.

answer Yes

answer Yes

The peplink can either act as a router, or in Drop-in-mode as a arp proxy and pass that ip thru.
In drop in mode, the failover wan (likely cellular will route all outbound traffic) seemless with no change to the firewall.

Thank you, Jonathan!