Direct incoming and outgoing traffic through different interfaces

HI,

I am not sure if this is possible for the Peplink Balance products, but even if it is not, maybe someone can help with a solution to achieve the same end result…

I have client software at different sites connecting to a central server, via a Peplink 310.

The client software software initiates a session on a specific port, lets say 2044.

Is it possible to allow the Peplink to direct all incoming traffic (to the server) to use port 2044, and all outgoing traffic to go out via a different port, such as 2045? For the same TCP session?

From what I read//understood, the outgoing balancing feature is only for sessions initiated from the server side. So if a session is initiated by a client to the server, the outbound policies will not apply as the session was initiated from a remote site.

The reason for this query is that I am using ISP’s with different upload speeds. So what I am ultimetly trying to do is that once a client in a remote location connects to the server, then all incoming traffic would go through the ISP with good download speeds, and all outgoing traffic to that client (which is still part of the same TCP session) will go through the ISP with faster upload speeds.

Any help or suggestions to achieve this another way would be appreciated…

thanks

Got you. But this way your remote client will be confused by sending a request to establish a TCP connection on IP x.x.x.x only to receive a reply from y.y.y.y. I am not sure if TCP protocol will allow for this either.

Yes you are right… But was hoping maybe there is a way to get around this issue by some Peplink magic :slight_smile:

I am not 100% up to scratch with how inbound DNS works with the Peplink, but as far as I understand all inbound traffic can got to a single domain name regardless of how many WAN links the Peplink is actually using? So might be a way to combine this feature ?

I think there wont be, but just putting it out there in case there is a nice method out there to accomplish this.

Thanks

Yes you are right about inbound load balancing. Basically Peplink leveraging its built-in DNS server to distribute incoming connection by resolving DNS queries to different WAN IPs.