DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1 lease pool is full

I’ve removed/shutdown every dhcp device and I still get the above error.
I’ve reset the router and uploaded the config file and cannot get past this.
No changes to the router were made.

Any ideas?

Pepwave Surf SOHO V2

Default DHCP lease time is a day. Have you had more than 254 unique devices connect to your network within 24hrs?

If so change the subnet from a /24 to a /16, then change your lease time from 1 day to 10mins and change the DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.2.254

Then once 24hrs have past, assuming the shorter lease time has fixed things you can revert to a /24

1 Like

No I haven’t. It seems as soon as the router starts the dhcp addresses fill.

Well that’s weird. Log a ticket for engineering to have a look.

1 Like

I’ve set the lease time to 5 minutes and still have the problem.
I opened a ticket - hopefully, someone can help.

Thanks anyway.

I setup the dhcp scope to be 192.168.2.x and successfully connected two clients to it - nothing reporting in the log about lease pool full. This doesn’t make sense at all. I’ve powered it off for an hour or so - I’m hoping this clears this issue. Changing everything to use 192.168.2.x would be a major pain… MAJOR!

Clients on the network will request an IP. The DHCP server on the router allocates one and sets the lease time. The client won’t release the IP back to the DHCP server unless you do it manually on the client. The DHCP server will recover IPs that have expired if it hasn’t seen the client request them again at the point of expiry.

If you set the LAN IP to be 192.168.1.1/16 and DHCP range as 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.2.254 then new clients will connect and get an IP in the 192.168.2.x range (because the .1.x range is all in use).

In a day the DHCP server will release all the IPs in the 192.168.1.x range and since your clients are set to 5 mins lease times now those with 192.168.2.x addresses will request another IP and get one in the 192.168.1.x - so you’ll be abck to where you need to be.

The bigger question though is where is this deployed and what’s connected for all the IPs in the original 192.168.1.1/24 to be consumed. I see this happen in public wifi scenarios where hundred of people/devices connect throughout the day but there is only ever 10-20 consecutive users. If the lease time is set to 1 day and the subnet is /24 the range gets exhausted quickly.

1 Like

@MartinLangmaid
I want to thank you for taking the time to help me with my issue. It turned out to be a video access point (VAP) for my Bell Fibe television which went rogue. For some reason it was making continuous DHCP requests. Not sure why I didn’t think about it earlier other than it was Bell support which told me it was on the network with 192.168.1.100. A reset put on properly on it’s own dedicated network.

Thanks again!

3 Likes