Designing the proper RF Gain Structure

Regarding LTE routers in general. Can someone share where to find the Peplink RF antenna gain structure on Peplink router products? During the design phase I should be able to piece together what the dBi antenna, select a cable and connectors and match to the router Antenna LTE sensitivity. Hence determine expected Gain, S/N, and THD.

I have not yet found this information on any of the product data sheets nor manuals.

Designing around the MAX series products and looking at Max HD2 and Max transit DUO. Thanks

ACW-813

Indoor Cellular Antenna (704-960MHz/1575MHz:1dBi; 1710-2170MHz: 3dBi; 2300-2690MHz: 2dBi) (SMA)

1 Like

Thanks but I need to know the nominal LTE input gain sensitivity in dB or Voltage of the MAX series routers. the impact could be the differrence between a Belden RA500 0101000 .5" LMR and Belden 1694a RG6U precision video cable. a stark difference in cost.

I love this forum - Literally no one has ever asked me this question before, it makes me pause and think.

What you really need I think is the datasheet for the cellular modules themselves. For example in the LTE-A Pro version of the Transit Duo that is a Sierra Wireless EM7565. The datasheet has the following table is that what you need?

6 Likes

Thank You MartinLangmaid, It is exactly what i need. Perhaps the reason why i asked is because i have been a systems integrator for more than 30 years integrating everything to Campus RF distribution systems to hi-Rise CATV systems and now DAS. Quite frankly I am surprised others haven’t inquired since we all have to go thru this process when properly designing RF systems. the EIRP value should be a line item in each products spec so the design engineer can determine what receive antennas to use in addition to the output value for WiFi. Especially for in building systems. From the EIRP, and with knowledge of a real antenna’s gain, it is possible to calculate real power and field strength values. Simple Formula to calculate EIRP = Tx RF Power (dBm)+GA (dB) - FL (dB)
Where Tx RF Power :RF power measured at RF connector of the unit and GA :Antenna gain and
FL : Feeder loss(cable loss or any other loss)

What is most interesting to me is the Colocation loss value of 2dB for it verifies that best practice is to select dedicated antennas for bands of interest with Gain structures of choice. this is probably not practical for mobile applications but possibly mission critical in building applications. Remember 3dB is a doubling of power transmission level and can make a world of a difference in high congestion (contention) environments. .

May i recommend a how to design a proper building system primer/tutorial for your knowledge base site? Something that gives a real-life example in building and mobile applications? including connector/splitter/amplifer etc insertion/return loss

2 Likes

Is there a wholesale distributor we can go to buy out Peplink products? If so what is our typical margin off list?

Hell yes! We’re all a bunch of geeks on here, would love to hear your approach to this kind of RF design.

Of course. Where in the world are you? You can find a list on the marketplace here. https://speedfusion.com/directory/authorized-distributors/

Peplink has a great partner program with multiple levels dependant on getting Peplink tech and sales staff certified and your experience and verticals etc.

1 Like

Martin, I am in the southeast US but our fortune 100 and government work takes all around the country and sometime around world.

BTW, on page 40-45 the real info was there regarding radio sensitivity including top limits of 10dBm.

Do you remember what I said about creating a how to primer/tutorial? Well as I design this system on a military base where the signal strength RSRP measured is -88dB and SINR at 0 dB made me realize I need a low gain 4GLTE MiMO antenna with an exceptionally low VSRW.

If I blindly picked an antenna with high gain but poor VSRW I would have a strong but shitty reception. This is why it so important to allow us to manage customer expectations with real data.

For example, when looking at your ANT-100-LTE4-G IP67 Dome Omnidirectional Dual MIMO LTE Antenna It says 4dBi gain but at what frequency bands? And what is its estimated VSRW at those bands? With PCTEL I am able to determine what my pickup will look like at the base station. https://www.pctel.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/PCTEL-Antenna-Catalog-Infrastructure.pdf

Hi @CarlosRiveraUTS

Welcome to the forum!

As @MartinLangmaid said, we love that kind of stuff! There are some well written articles here on the forum by some of our partner but I think they won’t be visible to you. Send me a PM and I’ll send you an example.

Antennas where an afterthought for a long time but there is definitely more attention been paid to them now.

If you need any technical details like which modems are used in the different routers, please send me a PM and I’ll get the info over to you. We do have antenna test results which is probably what you are after too.

1 Like

Please, send Peplink’s recommended antennas with test reports Highest Gain lowest VSRW omni and directional pole mounted antennae options for MAX TST DUO and MAX HD4 MB4 Routers. The site roof VZW RSRP is approximately -88dBm with SINR of 1dB. Antenna is will be rooftop mounted approximately 80’ away from the TR. Sadly the Tower appears to be 1 nautical mile away with possible clear line of site. We also have a ticket submitted to VZW Network Repair Bureau (NRB) but not expecting much from it. Please do not hesitate to call me with questions.

Following up please advise if this antenna will work: https://www.pctel.com/antenna-product/venu-dual-polarization-4g-lte-mimo-directional-panel-antenna-plte7027m/

Did you guys get this email?

I need an answer ASAP so I can buy out the material for the job.

Hi @CarlosRiveraUTS
I have just sent you a PM

1 Like

What is a PM? In my line of work it means a lot of things. Preventative Maintenance, Project Manager etc.

Private message. You can retrieve it by clicking your photo in the upper right hand corner.

1 Like

Please advise ASAP on the following:

Peplink ANT-100-LTE-4-G-N technical data: http://download.peplink.com/resources/pepwave-ant-100-lte4-g-n.pdf

Please confirm that the Peplink MAX TST DUO will in fact work with Verizon Data plans only provided by the RV industry service providers. I just learned that the only certified device that works with Verizon Data (IoT M2M presumably) is the Huawei MoFi 4500 in which is not allowed on government sites.

Please verify if ANT-100-LTE-4-G-N aggregation of two SIMS simultaneously from different carriers. Not just failover.

Lastly please confirm if the MAX-TST-DUO has been certified to operate with Cisco’s DMVPN or more specifically Cisco’s newer Viptella’s SDWAN?

Mission objective:

ANT-100-LTE-4-G-N is just the antenna (with 4 LTE elements and 1 GPS). If a Transit Duo was attached then yes you can aggregate the service from two operator SIMs simultaneously. Either by using session based load balancing, or by using Speedfusion VPN bonding (for which you need an additional target appliance/service).

No it has not.

1 Like

Thanks to be clear the antenna elements are not powered nor have LNA’s?

It’s just a wire round?

The LTE elements are not powered. The GPS might have a LNA. The in the box GPS antenna is active / powered.

1 Like