Configuring 1+1 Backup by High Availability (HA)

H Sitloongs,
Thank for your help. I note that

but onething i confuse when you disable sync on Slaver ( now is Master ) and primary Master( who down before) up back again, what happen ?

Can you provide detail info what you want to achieve here ?

Configuration sync is only a setting to control whether master configuration will be sync to slave and nothing related to the HA fail-over. If configuration sync is disabled, then you need to manage both devices configuration manually.

2 Likes

Hi Sitloongs,

I see disable sync only appear on Slaver . Nothing confuse now…

Thank for your help.

Are those additional switches required when both ISPs have at least 2 LAN ports?
We are planning to use one ISP with optical modem (2 LAN ports) and Balance 30 LTE as the second WAN. Should we still use switches between routers and WANs or can we plug them into ISP directly?

I have modified your graph a little. Let’s say that ISP2 is Balance 30 and HA pair is Balance 305:
33b29c5942ae4728258dc0698fcdaf6458f76be4

1 Like

Is there anyway in the GUI or CLI to make the slave active? I have had a few times now where the master has gone offline but slave is still reachable but does not take over active role. On other devices I would change the priority of the slave device so it takes over the role.

@BrianS Please open a support ticket here for support team to check. This is not the expected behavior.

Please make sure you provide the following info in the support ticket to allow support team to further check.

1. Diagnostic report for both Master and Slave devices - Possible please include the diagnostic report that downloaded when you found the issue.

2. Simple physical connection diagram for the HA setup.

3. RA is enabled for the devices.

Last but not least, if the device is running old firmware, please upgrade to latest firmware to avoid troubleshoot any old firmware related issue.

1 Like

Hi, I have a question regarding configuration on WAN interfaces and also inbound access services.
Do I need additional IP addresses? I mean the IP address on the WAN interface of the first box will be the same as or different from the WAN interface on the second box?

@AhmedKamal, the WAN IP address of master and slave devices will be same. If you have chance to look on the slave device, all it’s WANs will be in Standby mode without IP address. Once the failover occurs, WANs of slave device will be transition to active and using the same IP address as master device.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful answer.
So what about VPN profiles especially those speedfusion profiles created on remote site boxes and points at “remote ID” of one of the HQ boxes?
After adding the second box in HQ and configuring HA, do I have to configure a new profile on the remote site boxes with the new box ID?

No. Slave unit always sync the config from the master automatically.

1 Like

Does HA support in peplink balance if running on Layer 2 SF VPN environment?

Yes, it’s supported.

1 Like

Dear Sit Loong, thanks for the prompt confirmation, because we didn’t try before if peplink running L2SF VPN but add in one more peplink as HA. I believe the configuration wise should be the same as standard right?

Yes, it’s the same.

1 Like

I recently purchased 2 units of Balance 1350, updated Firmware to version 7.1.0 build 2287. I configured the first unit with Drop in mode. But I cannot enable HA as it says ‘High Availability is disabled because the LAN bypass port is in drop-in mode’.
I want to configure HA and use drop in mode.

@Farhan,

Make sure you define the drop in interface not using the LAN by pass interface then you can enable the HA settings for the devices.

2 Likes

Hi,
apart from lost connectivity in all of the WAN interfaces to “outside”, what else are the reason to have a failover on the system, to change from master to slave?.

I tested this on LAB and i only found that removing or the LAN (was using only one cable) or removing WANs cable (i was using 2 ISP and i removed both, only 1 doesnt make a failover) i generate a failover on the system.

There some other way to test the failover?.
Thanks

Disconnect the power chord. No joke:wink:

Any plans/possibility to have this on the Balance 30 LTE?

I have a similar situation here and would like to ask the same question to peplink, is it required to have 2 switches attached to the ISP router? What will be the difference with and without the switches?

Thanks.
B.R.
Chintan