Configuration auto-rollback request

Hi,

It would be excellent if there was an option to apply a new configuration for a short test period (for example 5 minutes, or a user configurable duration) that will automatically revert to the previous configuration when the time expires.
After that we could select apply to commit the configuration permanently if we are happy with the new configuration.
That would allow us to safely make changes on remote devices without any risk of losing access.

Thank you,
Dana

4 Likes

I like that idea very much - particularly when working with cellular APN changes on cellular only connected devices

+1 from me

2 Likes

Was just thinking of this this morning!
Just like the 90 test period on UBNT units.
+1 from us to

1 Like

This is an invaluable function on Cisco devices. Would be great to see on the Peplinks.
+1

2 Likes

Hi,
Is this being adopted?

Thanks
Dana

2 Likes

+1
In big(one cellular) installations and with templates, bulk-configs and automation, would not like to imagine effect of PIN change and losing contact to near thousand devices distributed in large geographical area.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m a little surprised that a configuration auto-rollback hasn’t been built for the Peplinks.
Maybe it is more complicated than I imagine - Is there a reason why its not available?

Regards
Dana

Pretty sure I heard at the New Orleans summit that Its coming… @Steve.Taylor will be able to confirm I’m sure…

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, Auto-roll back is coming. This is part of InControl 2.8 and will apply when configuration changes are pushed from InControl. If the device fails to connect to InControl after 10 minutes, then iit will automatically roll-back to the previous configuration.

I’ve made a quick video > Here < to show some of the new features coming with InControl 2.8

Thanks,

Steve

4 Likes

@Steve.Taylor – That’s great Steve, but please remember that not all of us use InControl – for one good reason or another. It would be good if this were a feature that could be selected when it may be needed – without using IC2.

1 Like

Its is coming, there was brief mention of it in Hong Kong this week but I can’t remember the specifics.
I agree with you comment about it been reliant on IC2.
It would be nice to have some IP addresses that we can manually enter and if the pings fail for more than x time, the device rolls back to previous settings and if it fails to ping for more than x the router reboots. The second option might not be good if your devices regularly go to areas without reception and you want the router to remain active.

2 Likes

Don’t understand how this will work.

How can InControl tell a device to Roll-Back, when a bad configuration has resulted in loss of devices ability to connect to Internet?

Device itself would have to determine the new configuration is faulty and after 10-minutes, Roll-Back to previous configuration, and reboot.

Yes this is how it would work.

1. Apply new config
  2. Can device still talk to IC2? If Yes stick with new config. If no, roll back to previous config. This will be a feature of the device firmware.

For now it will be a ‘can the device connect to IC2’ test. Maybe later other logic could be requested.

1 Like