Cli

it would be nice to be able to interface with the router and configure it fully with the CLI if that is at all possible. The same as we are able with the Web Interface.

HI, what level of CLI configuration are you looking for? Can you give some examples? The plan currently is for complete device configurations to be managed through InControl as the easiest method of doing zero touch deployments and device group based config changes. If all configuration options were possible through inControl would that fulfil your requirements?

Will these plans include also a partial distribution of configuration? For example, I have a 20 units registered in InControl 2 and I need for all units just change one of parameters (Captive portal quota limit, bandwidth limit etc) at once, in similar manner how it currently works for software upgrade. It is important though that this change in configuration would not clone all configuration parameters from one unit to remain 19, but only requested value for all units in that group is affected.
If it is not the case, then we also would rather prefer full CLI configuration approach like Cisco/Juniper, with ability to download, inspect and change configuration files via text editor and upload changed configuration file back to unit.

That is definitely what we are planning for yes. The challenge of course is finding the most elegant way to do it. CLI interfaces for configuration management can be really powerful for those who are familiar with them and already have the backend configuration management databases and deployment tools required to make best use of them. For everyone else though, CLI is a clunky, often confusing, legacy approach to config management that can be quite a usability barrier. Text based config files can be better of course, and might be a possible temporary solution - but personally, the idea of manually editing config files (or even running a script to do so) feels more like 1995 that 2015.

We’re always trying to find better ways to approach simple (yet powerful), WAN Link management and device use, and a focus on simplicity in our device interfaces (be they local or cloud based UIs) has always been a key component of that.

I am excited about what we will come up with for more complex config management for multiple device deployment - and will be sure to update you here once we have chosen a way forward. Stay tuned.

I understand where your coming from. However the CLI will allow us to build base configurations and quickly configure multiple models a lot quicker and easier than the web interface. It is very tedious to go thru entering all the firewall and qos commands for each new router. Where CLI would give us a much more efficient use of out network engineer’s time.

I understand CLI can seem clunky to the novice, but it is and has proven to be a reliable standard that every network engineer can agree upon. We all like our CLI over Web interface.

You have been making great strides with the InControl, do continue with that route. But it is important to have a Cisco like CLI interface.

Hi,

We have requested this in the past, for us it is important to get a backup configuration since we do not use the incontrol for compliance purposes.

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

Hi Charris,

May I know backup system configuration via TFTP or FTP can meet your requirement? Of course this is using CLI to execute.

Hi Liew,

Yes, backup using tftp is want we want!
Let us know whether you can do your magic:)

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

Hi Charris,

Great! We will look into this.

We welcome any comment or suggestion.

Thank you.

Hi Charris,

What model you are using? We can give you a 6.2.0 special build to try out. Below is something we are projecting what the CLI gonna be like:
> system backup tftp <ip> <remote file>

Please let us know if you further comments on this.

Thanks,
Eddy

This sounds great.
I have a Peplink 580, in my production build.
System backups are a great add-on. I am also hoping for a host of other commands to fully be able to configure the router via command line. Especially firewall rules and website filtering.

Hi There,

These are the special build for B580 with CLI supported with TFTP configuration backup. B580hw1 and B580hw2

CLI example:
> system backup tftp 192.168.1.10 /
>

Configuration file would be backup onto TFTP server /201503310642_b305hw2_1825064584A7.conf
where the file name is formed by <date><model><serial number>.conf

Dear Eddy,

I would like to thank you once more for the great support, you are a company that listen to the customers request!

Can you please supply the special build for the following:

210 HW2
310 HW2
380 HW5
580 HW1
1350 HW2

By the way I have already tried it on a 380 and it is working!

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

Hi Charris,

Glad that it is working on your B380. You can actually use those provided firmware images for 380 HW5/580 HW1/1350 HW2. Just follow the firmware file name. However, 210 HW2/310 HW2 are different firmware image and give us a bit of time. We will build those special build for B210/310 for you.

-Eddy

Hi Charris,

Here is the goody:
210/310 HW2

Enjoy!

-Eddy

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the quick reply, one last question and if it is not of a big trouble can you define the device name as well (we have around 30 devices and is hard to distinguish which one is what) or can we define a name by ourselves?

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

Hello,

You can change the Router name by going to System>Admin Security: Router Name

Hi Jarid,

The question was for the backup, instead for the <date><model><serial number>.conf can we add the <system_name> or customize the file name output??

Thanks,

Charris Lappas

Hi Charris,

I will get back to you on this.

Hi Charris,

Let’s see how we can support the customizable file name. Stay tuned!

-Eddy