Cellular / WiFi Antenna Separation

Given a Peplink unit like a BR1 MKII, there are 2 x Cellular and 2 x WiFi antenna connections. Assuming the use of a single cellular and a single WiFi antenna, as high bandwidth is not an objective. For example a Poynting OMNI-292 and a Poynting OMNI-296.

Is there any minimum required separation, either horizontal or vertical between the two antennas? This is a boat, and the location I have in mind would have the two antennas side by side, about 6" on centre. There are no other VHF of radar antennas anywhere near.

Thanks,

Allan.

1 Like

Hi Allan
When using a SISO (single input, single output) antenna like the ones mentioned above, you want to have the antennas mounted at least 50cm apart. If they can be 90cm or further apart, that is even better.
This separation can be horizontally or even better vertically.

We highly recommend using both the main and diversity connectors for the cellular and wifi for best results.
There are MIMO antennas available which would allow you to have all four ports on the BR1 MK2 connect to two MINO antennas

1 Like

Sam - Thanks for the quick reply

So just to confirm, regardless of whether I use SISO or MIMO antennas, and regardless of whether I use either just the main or the main+diversity antenna inputs, I should have the cellular and wifi antennas 50-90+ cm apart (horizontally or preferably vertically).

In other words, my proposed placement is not recommended. :frowning:

Allan.

1 Like

For those following this thread, here is a nice write-up on antenna separation…

Source: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/assets/downloads_ed/global/web_dwl_promotion/52007752_EN_HQ_10_Antenna_rules_LoRes.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks for the push towards MIMO, and MIMO antennas. Here is a nice table for the Poynting options…

For cellular, it looks like I could be using a single OMNI-402 or separated pair of OMNI-291. According to the frequency ranges, I could do the same for Wifi, but I will confirm with Poynting as they don’t spell out Wifi for those models.

2 Likes

Another nice table of antenna separation recommendations:

Source: https://www.seamagazine.com/importance-antenna-placement/

2 Likes

I am using SISO on BR1 Max MK2. Poynting MIMO cellular 402 wasnt on market & available at the time so went with 400. Also have Poynting 496 for WiFi. They unfortunately dont make a dual band MIMO. I have terminators on both the MIMO aux antenna b ports for cellular and wifi. Key is to try to get an unobstructed LoS to cell tower. Places where there are high tidal swings (6-9 feet where I am ) might mean you need your antenna very high up or it can be blocked by land/structures on-land. My antennas are about 20-25 feet up on mast off-set using Glomex 1x14 mount. Ideally I would’ve put another cellular antenna and wifi antenna on opposite side of mast so mast isnt an obstruction. Key consideration is MIMO on cellular on MK2 only helps downstream no upstream goes over it IIRC. Maybe newer technologies can do upstream on MIMO.

1 Like

Hello…I have decided to mount VHF and AIS antennas on the pushpit for several reasons. As I am able, I will try to provide as much vertical separation as possible. Horizontal separation is determined by width of stern.I think I am going to end up making the best of my situation, and check VSWR on the VHF sources/antennas. If too high, I will move items around until acceptable. I suspect that at some point I am going to reach critical mass in the electrons bouncing back and forth on my stern - flux capacitor??? And as long as GPS antennas/units still show a good constellation of satellites, is all well?

quick full pcb assembly services

1 Like