Cascading Peplink 30 and Balance One Core: Optimum configuration?

I have just bought a Balance One Core that I am cascading with my Balance 30.
I had been using the Balance 30 to load balance 3 Wan connections. My Lan includes an untagged Lan at the Lan1 port, and a Vlan assigned to the Lan2 port, the 30 was performing well, serving both Lan networks.
Now the Balance 30 which has 3 Wan connections has it’s Lan port connected to the Balance One’s Wan2 port, and the One has 2 additional Wan connections at the Wan1 and the Mobile Internet port.
The One has been configured as the main router with the relevant Lan, Vlan, and Wan configurations, but the performance is erratic. I am having interrupted page loading, high latency etc.

What am I doing wrong?, I welcome any suggestions how to best optimize this setup.

Instead of trying to cascade these and get them to work I would recommend to purchase the 5-WAN license for the Balance One Core instead. This way you can plug in all 5 WAN connections plus the USB modem into a single router:
http://store.peplink.com/software-add-ons/others/wan-port-activation-license-for-balance-one-core.html

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. The reason I would like the current setup to work is because the first 3 Wan links are in a remote location from the One.
I have 1 network cable running between the 30 and One. If you can recommend any tips to improve performance, I would be thankful.
I suppose I could get extra network cables installed, and activate all 5 Wan ports on the One but the cabling part would be a hassle.

May I know what is the upload/download throughput for each WAN that connected to Balance 30?

What is the port speed that negotiated between B30’s LAN port and Balance One Core’s WAN2? You may check at http://<LAN IP of Balance router>/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi

Can you confirm where the traffic was routed to when you notice high latency is happening there? You may check at Status > Active Sessions > Search OR enforce traffic for a testing PC to Balance One Core’s WAN1, then follow by WAN2 and USB to confirm which WAN was giving the problem.

I do agree on the suggestion from Tim. This will be the Optimum solution without having the trouble to trace the root cause. You may need to put more efforts and times if another problem occurs in future with your current design.

Hope this help.

Thanks TK.
Each Wan on the B30 is capable of 40Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.
The Wan2 port on the Core reads: Negotiated Speed: 1000Mb/s Duplex: Full Link: OK
Enforcing my connection on the Core to Wan1 and then to Mobile Internet works perfectly.
Enforcing the connection to Wan2 results in the problems mentioned in my first post.

What would you consider the optimum detailed settings recommended for the B30 and the One in this cascade?

For example: Should the following settings be enable or disabled on either or both routers?

1. UPnP and Nat-PMP.
  2. Intrusion Detection and DoS Prevention.
  3. NAT Mappings of each devices Lan IP Network, including the Vlan on the Core
  4. IP Forwarding instead of NAT on any Wan ports including the Core’s Wan 2 port
  5. Wan MTU settings Auto vs 1440

Thanks to the Peplink team for their time on this forum and their helpful suggestions.

Please help to open ticket for us to take closer look. Please help to enable Remote Assistance for both Balance One and Balance 30. We should have better idea if we can access both devices.

Thank you.

Thank you TK,
I have submitted Ticket #765759.

@Zoloft - any chance you can share your ultimate design? I have a very similar setup and am running into similar troubles.

I can get it to work, but I doubt it is optimized. IP forwarding doesn’t seem to function as I would expect. For whatever reason, I have to use a VLan to connect the WAN to LAN, etc. performance is sporadic and at times unresponsive. It would be great if the LAN side allowed for outbound traffic rules - then we could go LAN to LAN. I have tried a ton of combinations to varying degrees of success and failure. There should be a way to share two internet connections with two separate routers and make it transparent to the LAN devices. More is better, right?