Carrier Access - IMEI denied by carriers?

I apologize if this has been asked 1k times before, but I tried the Search function, and couldn’t find anything…I just purchased a BR1 ENT and a 2X2 MIMO antenna for our RV trip, because internet access sucks at RV parks. :slight_smile:

per Sales at 5G Store, I just needed to call a carrier with the IMEI# and sign up for a plan…but whenever I try to input the IMEI# for a plan on Verizon, ATT, or T-Mobile, I get an error message that it’s not supported. Am I selecting the wrong plan, wrong carriers, or doing something else in the manner of a moron?

Help?

Support from the cellular carriers can be ‘iffy’ sometimes. I struggled with Verizon until I was able to get to their 2nd level support (allegedly you can ask for them). The tech had me power off my device, and, reset the sim card. When I powered up the device, the sim card was recognized. Do you have a sim, or, are you trying to get one?

I have a Max Transit with both AT&T & Verizon sim cards in my RV. Have been using it since late may with antennaes that came in the box. Could not be happier.

I would go back to 5G store & push them to provide some assistance to you. It’s my understanding Peplink expects the seller to provide 1st level support to the purchaser.

Lots of differing opinions on GUDP (grandfathered unlimited data plans) from various resellers. The plan I secured came with a sim card that was immediately recognized by both the device & the carrier.

Good luck.

I’m surprised you had an issue with Tmobile. They seem to be least restrictive.

If you are ok with Tmobile, one surefire way is to just go to a Tmobile store and buy a Data-only SIM with X-amount of GB. They do not ask for, nor validate your IMEI prior to selling you this sim in the physical store. Once you have the SIM card the tmobile account web pages for managing that SIM card do not even show IMEI. They really do not care what you have it seems and will gladly accept your payment.

ATT & Verizon on the other hand apparently dont want paying customers and block you from signing up… over claims of “compatibility” which is BS. This is a carrier issue in my opinion. They want to play games to drive people into buying hardware directly through them. I think they are also trying to squeeze money out of hardware manufacturers to “certify” devices which is nothing more than whitelist all the IMEIs, for a fee.

However the signup pages for ATT & Verizon can be fooled by entering in any “valid” IMEI, for example if you could “find” an IMEI for a Verizon Jetpack…the web page will accept this even if its not what you will be using. Certainly there is some risk with this approach but it works. I have found that once they detect the IMEI it no longer allows changing the plan because no plans are “compatible” with the detected IMEI… but i dont care, I can just cancel and resignup on another prepaid plan when and if the time comes. :+1:

how about some info? what plan are you trying to sign up for?

I’m curious – what’s the cost per GB and the maximum GB you can buy with the data-only SIM? (I don’t have a t-mobile store near me and can’t seem to find a page for it on the t-mobile website; if it’s interesting though once this pandemic is over it might be worth a store visit for me if they will allow the max transit.)

I think there is a t-mobile plan that is around $50/month, unlimited.

@aquablue - look under prepaid plans. You dont actually need to go into a physical store. The prepaid setup process allows you to order a SIM without IMEI check.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet

1 Like

I think there is a t-mobile plan that is around $50/month, unlimited.

I think that stopped working after the sprint merger.

ok under prepaid plans. You dont actually need to go into a physical store. The prepaid setup process allows you to order a SIM without IMEI check.

Thanks! It looks like it’s 22 GB/month for $85. After 22 GB does it stop entirely, or slow to 600 or 128 kbps?? Do they have a way to buy slightly more than 22 GB or is that the limit per SIM per month on a data only plan with t-mobile?