Captive Portal with Existing WiFi Network Access Points

Hi,

I already have a large hotel network of existing access points, and cabled network nodes, replacing them for pepwaves at the moment is out of the question.

We plan on implementing the pepwaves in the near future for all new areas and replacing old units.

The question is:

How can I configure our 710 to enable captive portal to ALL clients, not just those comming from the pepwave APs, like for example, when i connect to the LAN port and try to navigate the internet i want to get immediately sent to the captive portal page, even from a cabled node.

Im guessing it can be done by enabling the captive portal for the wifi devices then routing all DNS requests to the captive portal ip? or something like that?

Anyone have any idea of how this can be done?

Thank you.

Hi Avro,

As we discussed on the phone, the Captive Portal is for Pepwave devices at this time. I would keep an eye out on our Forum or Website in case that may change one day.
Captive Portal for the LAN port is on our roadmap.

Hi Avro,
Just wondering how many APs they have?

Guess you have three options here:

1. Replace the APs with Pepwave devices - I realise there are cost constraints with this option.
  2. Chuck in a third party Captive portal. There are a bunch of open source options as well as commercial offerings.
  3. Replace the APs with a third party managed wifi solution that has an active portal but its a little cheaper than the Peplink/Pepwave combination - retaining the peplink for link aggregation and bonding.

The Number of AP’s will be the deciding factor here (along with how keen the customer is for the portal/WLAN management).

Martin

In Response:

1. Replace the APs with Pepwave devices - I realise there are cost constraints with this option.
    Currently working on it but will take some time

2. Chuck in a third party Captive portal. There are a bunch of open source options as well as commercial offerings.
    Anyone used some? for the life of me i cant find any that work on on ethernet/lan ports, they are all for the wireless APs

3. Replace the APs with a third party managed wifi solution that has an active portal but its a little cheaper than the Peplink/Pepwave combination - retaining the peplink for link aggregation and bonding.
    Thats what we currently have that want to change