With mobile devices (regardless of if the operating system brand), it is important to firstly make sure the firmware (operating system) is up-to-date, this we have found to be the biggest issue with mobile devices, if the device is already up-to-date, then we test the device on a SSID (normally hidden with its own limited access on the same AP making sure to have the device “forget” the network once tested), if this works then it is the mobile device.
To help you find another way to get the connection working:
- Turn of mobile/cellular data and leave just Wi-Fi on
- Forget any previous connection on the mobile device if the mobile device knows about the Wi-Fi name
- Attempt the connection to the captive portal
If above three does not work reboot phone and go through above again.
If reboot and the combined steps do not work:
- Re-enable mobile/cellular data
- Check for firmware update to the mobile device and install if a stable release
- Then go through this process again from step #1
We have not had any of our customers for over 5 months report any Captive Portal issues to us that are related to the Peplink/Pepwave APs, we have always found it to be related to the mobile device and the majority of the time the steps above fix the issue.
If your site(s) are still having issues with the Captive Portal, then we highly recommend you engage with an experienced Peplink Partner having them go over your setup and look through the design with you, you can find you local partner at https://www.peplink.com/peplink-certified-partners, myself I’m based in Australia if that is of use.
Happy to Help,