Captive Portal - Additional Quota Options - To be managed from InControl2

Hello Peplink Team & Forum collegues,
We have a client who has some specific variations requested for the Captive Portal around quota limits.

Currently the time limit is 1440 minutes (a single day).
Request is time limits quotas of:

• 2 to 6 Days,
  • 1 to 4 weeks,
  • 1 calendar month,
  • 2 to 6 calendar months.
  • a set number of days (example 2 days to 180 days or more)

The client wishes to apply a data quota during this time, the user may share this data quota across multiple deices, though once used up that is it unless the next request is actioned.

Once the data is used up, they need an option to allocate an addition quota allowance of data though an easy management interface that the reception/management staff can use.

Another feature requested is the ability to have reoccurring data quotas rather than daily quotas such as:

• 2 to 6 Days,
  • 1 to 4 weeks,
  • 1 calendar month,
  • 2 to 6 calendar months.
  • a set number of days (example 2 days to 180 days or more)

This data quota would be pre-assigned in the quantity similar to what is currently available to the user in the quota settings and would be assigned for the user to consume across any number of the users devices.

Other features the client is interested in are:

• allowing the user to extend the limits by accepting additional charges for the period with the use of
    – a credit card
    – Paypal
    – accepting additional room/hotel/venue charges on the users account
  • have a way to verify user is still a current checked in patron and apply controls to patrons

These existing forum threads overlap with this request and are here for reference:

We are interested in what can be done to help here, the clients solution is due to go live in just under 3 weeks on Thursday 24 May 2018.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello,

Resurrection on a useful post of our friend Marcus.

Any work on that ever added?

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

this sounds good. especially the paypal method :slight_smile:

I would like to add to this wishlist: Watch a comercial-Video and get x minutes/hours of free wifi

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Hi,

Did you manage to get a solution to this issue? I have also been looking for a router with this feature but only resolve I am pointed to is to use a hard-firewall.

1 Like

Hello @nukeman5000,
Welcome to the Peplink Community Forum.
The client used a solution available from another vendor to achieve most of these requested features (including the Payment Gateway). We knew of the product they chose and had worked with it previously with other clients, though as the manufacture and developers of the product had discontinued the line and support for it, we choose to let the opportunities go.

In major Australian cities, the mobile/cellular coverage is excellent, and the cost per data has dropped considerably over the years. Public Wi-Fi still has value, though the last time I used it was travelling internationally at the airport; the rest of the time, I used either a local in-country SIM or roaming data.

We still have clients and opportunities that these features would be useful. We also acknowledge the complexities of implementing many of these features; an example of one of these complex features is when each customer is likely to require integration into their own payment gateways.

This thread needs many votes for the feature request and supporting emails for the features demonstrating the return on investing the resources to make this work. Feel welcome to take on the cause.

On the bright side, Peplink offers the ability to develop your own captive portal that could have all these features; there are details within the forum for those interested.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like