Cannot set VLAN by SSID

I have multiple locations where we use the Balance Router to control wifi access points. There are separate VLAN for internal and guest based on the SSID.

I have no trouble creating the VLANs under Network > LAN.

When I go to AP > SSID > OURGUEST on three locations the VLAN box has a drop down showing the untagged and separate VLANS that I created.

At our primary location running B310X firmware 8.5.4, there is no drop down. The box says “untagged” greyed out. I can type a VLAN number into the box which I tried, but the users connecting to that SSID do not get an IP. There is no drop down to select which VLAN to use. As a result I cannot set up VLANS by SSID on this device.

I thought this might be because this device was controlling APs at remote locations. I disabled that function so it is now only controlling AP that are directly connected. A few of those AP are older models such as AP One Rugged running AP firmware 3.6.3. Might those devices not be compatible with VLAN by SSID causing this result? We are already planning to upgrade those devices.

Are you configuring the APs from IC2 or using the AP controller?

1 Like

We are configuring the APs from the Balance AP controller. No problem at the other locations same method.

As a test I changed the AP Controller to Permitted Approved List only, and entered the newer devices only. That did not change the problem. When I create or edit an SSID there is no drop down list of VLAN to choose. The SSID VLAN setting is an open editable box. Typing the VLAN number into the box does not work. The SSID appears on the devices, users can authenticate but they do not receive a LAN IP.

I would recommend opening a ticket for this: https://ticket.peplink.com

1 Like