I just got a Balance 30 for our office and am super excited to get it set up. We have a Comcast Business Class Internet connection, and a new Verizon FIOS connection. Both work fine on their own. Both are configured to be 192.168.1.1 default gateways, and both are set up to serve DNS from .1.1 as well. I can take our main switch Ethernet cable and swap it back and forth between the cable modem and the FIOS router and everything just “works” as far as folks on our LAN reaching the Internet.
Today I tried to set up the Peplink. I set up WAN ports 1 and 2 to be DHCP. I hooked up the Comcast to WAN1 and the FIOS to WAN2. Both ports successfully got a DHCP address from their respective connections (192.168.1.190 and 192.168.1.20 respectively). But… They both intermittently fail DNS health checks. It happens over and over. I get a message:
Failed to receive DNS response from the health-check DNS servers for WAN 2. But public DNS server lookup test via the WAN passed. So please check the DNS server settings.
I have tried so far:
- Lengthening the timeouts for the DNS check
- Checking the box to allow external DNS checks
- Changing from DNS to HTTP health checks, and pointing it at www.yahoo.com and/or www.google.com
- Changing the link speeds from 1000/1000 to 100/100
- Changing the physical port to 100 Full Duplex
- Trying to use WAN3 instead of WAN2 for the FIOS (shot in the dark - bad port? nope)
None of the above have worked. Can you please help me troubleshoot how to get the health checks working? Please let me know any/all info I need to provide beyond this. Thank you,