Can Peplink Surf Soho stop a modem/router from routing?

Hello,

I have purchased a Surf Soho on recommendation from Michael Horowitz’s site. I have bought x2 modem/router combo units to try to use as modem only, in bridge mode.
Both don’t work - after going into bridge mode, internet connection is soon cut off.
I tried a Netgear DM200 and then bought iinet’s TP-Link VR1600v

I have called my ISP, and they say they can’t help with bridge mode, that they can’t recommend because it will likely affect the internet connection. (Even though the second modem/router I bought - TP-Link, was from iinet. There is the option to bridge in this modem/router’s setting, but after setup internet connection is lost. iinet say that it is not port blocking from their side).

The computer communicates fine with the TP-Link, going through ethernet through the Peplink Surf Soho.

I am wondering if there is a way to use the Surf Soho to block the TP-Link’s router from accessing the internet, to make the connection stop at the Surf Soho? Basically, a way to bridge without having to go into bridging mode, or a way to use the Surf Soho to make the TP-Link’s routing stop once it hits the Surf Soho.

Any help would be appreciated, I’ve been trying to make this work for a few weeks now!

Thanks,
Melissa

Did it connect at all - or are you saying it connected for a while then stopped?

If it didn’t connect at all, did you change the WAN of the SOHO to PPPoE and enter your ISP Settings?

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your reply. I followed the above, which cut my computer’s connection to the iinet TP Link modem/router. I didn’t realise that the Soho WAN connection was DHCP.

The TP Link is set up to connect to the computer, through the Soho via PPoE. But the connection breaks when I change the Soho’s WAN connection to PPoE, rather than DHCP?

Hello @melissa,
Who was your Australian supplier for your Peplink equipment, they will be able to help you over the phone to fix this.
We use iiNet with out business and when using PPPoE you need to be entering the account username and password.
What is your connection, are you on NBN and which NBN technology platform?
Happy to help,
Marcus :slight_smile: