Can no longer directly access Surf-SOHO

Before I jump into a support ticket, I’m wondering if there isn’t some simple issue I’m overlooking.

Last month I decided to change some settings in my router. Normally, I would connect directly with the router, through either wifi or cable to LAN 1. I was not able to connect using the IP address I assigned to the router a couple years ago (I have that written down so it was not a forgotten password issue). Tried these methods with 3 Windows 10 computers, with 3 different browsers, pop-up blockers turned off, Windows firewall disabled, all to no avail.

Nonetheless, since it had been a couple years since I adjusted some of the basic security settings as suggested by Michael Horowitz, I decided to just go ahead and do a reset, using the button on the back of the router. I thought for sure that would bring back the 192.168.50.1 url access, but no. I tried resetting the router three times, using the 10+ second method.

Luckily, I do have an Incontrol2 account setup. So I can access the router that way. I used the interface to input the original access to 192.168.50.1, but I still cannot connect directly. I would like to regain direct access. Is there something I’m missing?

Tim

Surf SOHO FW 8.2.1 build 5082

Hi Tim. It would be helpful to know some details about the failure to login–did you see an error message? Without knowing anything more than you wrote, I would hazard a guess that the problem may be browser related. The 192.168.50.1 address is often rejected by the browser because the certificate credentials have expired. You can force the browser to connect, but you may have to scroll down the screen to see the option.

Bob

Hi Bob. My bad. I did mean to include that info. Here’s what I get back from Firefox:

Unable to connect An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.50.1:11430.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

11430 is the port I assigned in InControl. Before I assigned the port, after the reset attempts, I was receiving the same message with the default address ( 192.168.50.1 )

Looking around in InControl, I am wondering about this setting for Web Admin Access (see photo).
12-19-2022 InControl Web Admin Access.jpg

Should also mention that I disabled my VPN in my attempts.

Do you have a backup of a router config that you know worked? You might try restoring it (using InContol) and re-booting. I don’t use InControl so can’t offer any ideas in that area.

You could also try a different browser.

I get the same result with Edge and Pale Moon

No backups. It’s my understanding that the router saves a backup but that the physical reset button wipes them both out.

There’s a reset switch in InControl. I will try that, but it will have to wait a couple hours. Thanks.

12-28-2022 (Late) UPDATE Resetting/restoring the router through InControl2 did work. The result was a return to the default URL allowing for direct access.