Can I Use Ethernet Adapters on the USB WAN?

That’s nice, any chance you tested this last year?

1 Like

Does this work with Balance 20X?

@Paul_Barrett

Yes. B20x supported the Ethernet adapter USB WAN feature.

2 Likes

Are there plans in the works to support any USB 3.0 2.5GBASE-T ethernet adapters?

@carjr159

Do you have more use case info that can share ? 2.5GBase-T ? For such high bandwidth link, better to have fiber connection ?

1 Like

Looking at gigabit-capable DOCSIS modems, many have gone the route of dual GbE ports + link aggregation, though there are some with single 2.5GbE ports in the pipeline. I’ve not had a good look at the field of FTTP ONTs though I know of at least one business-oriented model in use at a friend’s business which does have 2.5GbE ports—unfortunately I don’t have the model number to hand, though if it would help you I can ask him.

What I’m looking at now is trying to be sure my hardware purchases now are reasonably future-proof for these gigabit-capable WAN options as I expect to have them in use in at least two locations within the next year. I’m not considering solo GbE WAN ports for gigabit-class WAN options at the moment, so do I need to look at buying Peplink hardware capable of 802.3ad link aggregation on the WAN side (as I know that will work with the current crop of DOCSIS modems I’ve researched), or can I stick with Peplink hardware without 802.3ad support on the WAN ports but which I could deploy with a 2.5GbE (or 2.5/5GbE) USB 3.0 NIC when we move to gigabit DOCSIS or fibre WAN later this year?

1 Like

I tried USB/ethernet adapter on a Surf SOHO HW2 and it worked. But on a Balance 20x it did not work. Are there settings that need to be adjusted in the USB WAN definition?

Hmmm. @sitloongs indicated it’s supported. Wondering if you used one of those listed here --> Can I Use Ethernet Adapters on the USB WAN?. Or a different one?

1 Like

My bad. Did not read whole posting from the beginning. You have to first configure the USB port to work with Ethernet rather than 4G/LTE. After doing this, it worked fine.

2 Likes