BR1 Simultaneous Cell and WiFi WAN

When a multi-WAN Balance router is used with a Max BR1, it would be nice to have the Cell and Wi-Fi WAN on the BR1 running simultaneously. I would envision the priority 1 WAN then being locked to LAN 1 and the Priority 2 WAN being locked to LAN 2 in this mode. These could then go to separate WAN’s on the Balance.

Comments?

Thanks for the feature request. Please note the BR1 is designed as a fail-over only device and only one WAN source can be active at any time.

If you need a good option for a dedicated Wi-Fi as WAN device you should check out the Surf-On-The-Go, it works great and only costs $99.

I fully understand what the BR1 is in terms of fail-over. What I’m proposing is the possibility of it becoming something else if hardware and software allows.

The Surf-On-Go is not an option, sort apples and oranges since it is so much weaker in terms of Wi-Fi…

Hi Rexy,

Will you consider MAX transit for the request ?

Thank You

Edited on 17/8/2016 ( Peplink | Pepwave - Forum)

Transit Single (MAX-TST)

• no two WANs with the same priority

Transit Duo (MAX-TST-DUO)

• Support two WANs with same priority (Simultaneous WANs - Cellular WAN, WIFI WAN, Ethernet WAN)

I don’t know, what is “Per Service Load distribution” and will it allow throttling the cell and Wi-Fi WAN’s independently?

Also, what is the Wi-Fi transmit power in dBm or Mw, I don’t see it anywhere in the spec?

The application is a yacht in port with “free” Wi-Fi that regularly drops out. While on Wi-Fi the captain wants to give the crew full bandwidth, but when it fails-over to cell it needs to be throttled since that isn’t free.

On another note, if you set the WAN bandwidth low on say a B580, does this actually limit the bandwidth on that WAN or does it only apply to the bandwidth control feature?

Thanks,

P.S. Peplink should put software emulators online so dealers can try and explore these features without the hardware. This is also a great tech support help when you may not have the exact device available to lead the customer thru the setup. IC2 is great, but of no or limited help if the device isn’t online or the link is too unstable for “Remote Web Management”.

I may miss understand the initial requirement. Please ignore the MAX Transit model as mention. As Tim mention, if you need to have more that 1 active WAN, you need to check for the multi WAN cellular router model.

Do you have further info regarding to the require setup ?

1. Why you need to deploy Balance router behind a BR1 device ?

2. Total WAN involved ? 1 x WIFI , 1 x cellular ?

3. How many concurrent users need to supported ?

WAN Download Bandwidth - This will not limit the actual download bandwidth for the WAN - Only apply to bandwidth control feature

WAN Upload Bandwidth - This will limit the actual upload speed for the WAN
This field refers to the maximum upload speed.
A correct value can result in effective traffic prioritization and efficient use of upstream bandwidth.

We have demo unit page for this.

Balance:

MAX:

Thank You

Please answer my first two questions, what is “Per Service Load Distribution” and what is the TX power of the Max Transit?

The majority of our installations use the B580 since we need and want to control that many WAN’s:

WAN1 VSAT
WAN2 BR1
WAN3 Wi-Fi
WAN4 Shore LAN
WAN5 Inmarsat Fleet

Some installations have legacy Wi-Fi bridges, other use a BR1 for just Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi/Cell. Because many frequent the Med, Caribbean and US we have installs with both a US BR1 and Euro BR1. Again, TX power is important. The BR1 is 25dBm which is 6x more powerful than the 17dBm Surf so what is the Transit? We’ve used a few Max 700 and HD2, but cable runs are long which isn’t ideal due to loss. The B580 is usually centrally located then the BR1’s are close the mast’s/antenna’s to minimize loss.

I forgot about those demos, thanks for the links!

Hi Rexy,

“Per Service Load Distribution” is general term/name used that referring to traffic distribution over the available Internet links base on configurable proportions. Distribution of each traffic type can be independently configured according to protocol and port number.

For more information, please refer the URL below:

http://www.peplink.com/knowledgebase/understanding-configuring-outbound-traffic-rules/

Regarding to the WIFI TX power of the Max Transit, i will get back shorty.

Thank You

I’m very familiar with outbound rules and load balancing, just never saw them referred to by that name. Is it some new marketing thing like SD router instead of multi-WAN?

Hi Rexy,

The general term/name for “Per Service Load Distribution” is used for sometimes ago. It’s mainly referring how the device can distribute the network traffics over the available Internet links base on configurable proportions.

Thank You

Hi Rexy,

Regarding to MAX Transit WIFI Transmit power, we will add the info at the product main web page. Please stay tuned and i will update you when the info is added.

Thank You

Any update on stating what the TX power is?

Thanks,

Sorry for late. The transmit power is 19dBm for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

So that means the Max Transit is only 79mW compared to the Max BR1 at 316mW and the Max BR1 Pro at 398mW/316mW on 2.5/5gHz? That doesn’t make the Max Transit very appealing considering it is the most expensive out of the three…

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/whitepapers/dbm_chart.pdf

I would encourage Peplink to state the Wi-Fi TX power on all spec sheets and brochures so customers can make informed decisions. For that matter, the Max BR1 Pro spec sheet doesn’t even state it has Wi-Fi WAN unlike the Max BR1. It would be helpful if these things were consistent so maybe point that out to the marketing department: http://download.peplink.com/resources/pepwave_max_br1_pro_datasheet.pdf

Thanks,

Hi Rexy,

BR1 and MAX Transit are different in many features and performance positioning. Hence, the pricing of the devices are not based on WiFi transmission power.

Anyway, I know where you come from. I will relay the message to the team.

Thanks.

Would you be able to also provide the transmit power/db for the cellular modules as well? I am interested in the BR1 module.

Nevermind. Found it here: Max BR1 cellular module signal strength?

It would be useful to have this information in the spec sheet as well.