BR1 PRO 5G & Starlink for boat

Hi, I am looking to install a Peplink system and Starlink on my boat. The config that I am considering is the BR1 Pro 5G Peplink router and the Peplink 42G antenna. I boat in the PNW and plan to use TMO for LTE/5G. A couple of questions.

1. I assume Starlink connects to the WAN port, is there any special cable or just a standard ethernet cable required?
  2. Do you use the Peplink AP and ignore or disable the Starlink WiFi AP?
  3. What is the purpose of the GPS?

If I am missing something in the config please let me know.

TIA

Martin

1. Using the Starlink ethernet adapter/dongle to wire into your peplink will provide lower latency and more reliability. The cable between the ethernet adapter and the peplink is a standard cable. (In my campervan I am using 12V-to-48V PoE injector feeding straight into the SL Dish - without using their router in the mix. In my case I use a custom ethernet cable)

2. I use a dedicated access point. Leaving the peplink router wifi exclusively for WiFi-WAN.

3. Some people use it for fleet tracking. That may not be useful for you… One thing this helps with is in inControl there are WAN Quality reports that are overlayed onto maps. With the GPS data the mapping is able to show you signal data for locations your in. In my campervan I had many wires that I needed to feed to the roof and didnt want to feed GPS due to its not being super important… inside my campervan I have the GPS antenna stuck to the body of the van and it is still strong enough to pickup a signal and show my location on the map. My point is dont go wild with placement of the GPS antenna. Try just leaving it right next to the device inside the hull and see if it works before deciding to mount the puck somewhere else.

Thank you Eric, really helpful. Martin.

Hi Martin, I’m also in the PNW but have a sailboat. I have been looking at the same set up you are considering but I’m concerned about the losses in the antenna cable as I’d mount the antenna on the spreader about 35-40 ft away from the router. So now I’m considering the HD1 Dome Pro with ethernet to a Balance Two router. Still evaulating.

Use the flat high performance antenna of Starlink. It will provide direct ethernet connection from the power supply. Do not use Starlink router, no added value.

As for GPS, do you mean from the boat? You’ll love to follow the trip on Incontrol :wink:

1 Like