BR1 5G Pro

With the new X62 chipset shipping in the BR1 and BR2 pro is there any chance those of us who purchased the X55 version will have an upgrade path? Can the modems be swapped to the new ones or do we have to replace the entire unit we bought only a year ago or so?

2 Likes

Hi. Just curious … apparently you have investigated this. What do you see the benefit to be, I wonder?

Hello @Rick-DC - Although I was not the poster; at a minimum… 5G Carrier Aggregation. CA with multiple 5G bands (e.g. T-Mobile SA N41+N71) = significant more bandwidth, reduced PING times over NSA.

The X62 modem technology is a very noteworthy improvement over X55 modem technology. Glad to see they are finally adding this to their portfolio.

To put it more simply it allows you to use multiple bands simultaneously. So If one band is better for download and another is better for upload the new modem can take advantage of that. Plus this is the standard that will grow with time where the x55 modem is an older no longer growing standard. Where this really helps is those of us who full time in RV’s such as myself will have better results in a fringe area where some signal may not be as strong

Thank you, and to @Lee_Zim . I’ve not followed this so I appreciate your comments. My guess (FWIW): Peplink’s product managers and engineering folks are very aware of the technology and opportunities, but the product development cycle is not rapid for products which are complex and must be designed to be highly reliable. Develop, prototype, test, rinse, repeat. ;<) Let’s see what unfolds. Thanks for the replies – appreciated.

How are you able to tell which modem a device has?

@Rick-DC Hello Rick,
You are a wealth of knowledge on this forum - glad I can also add a few extra extra nuggets to the community. Thanks much for your contributions.

1 Like

The model number has different ending. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/next-generation-qualcomm-x62-modems-coming-to-peplink-routers-at-last/

1 Like

Thank you. I wonder what’s stopping someone from opening up their 5G modem and swapping out their modem card with an X62. According to the link you shared, “Other than the new modem modules - there is no change to either router.”

I would not expect them to be like memory sticks or graphics cards in a desktop computer fitted into some standard socket/slot. Probably the chips are soldered into the board.

They are actually m.2 form cards. So they can easily be swapped. There is a history of some users upgrading their modem to other supported versions. (Cat 4 to cat 7 or 12 swaps) Obviously Peplink won’t provide any support.

To find your hardware modem version you need to select the “Engineering Data” on the Cellular Details page.

Manufacturer
Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model
EM9191

Given the raw price of 5G x62 cards, it would be better economics to wait until you need another Br1 pro5G and then use the x62 chipset where it works best, and the x55 in a location that doesn’t need that speed.

1 Like

Correct. If you look up the FCC filing, you can see internal photos and they show M.2 cards.

BR1: https://fccid.io/U8G-P1AX02
BR2: https://fccid.io/U8G-P1AX203

We have successfully swapped multiple - but indeed, no support from Peplink if done !

Some vessels we’ve had arrive with US modems, and have swapped for Global/EU ones to work outside the US.

1 Like

Have you done this on any recent models?

Had a go on some older ones using the PCI-E slots, where we upgraded from Cat IV to Cat VI modems that went fine. However, I have not had any success in replacing any using the m2 slot, as it seems Peplink is running their own or at least a custom firmware on these to make them work.

You can get the firmware directly from the modem vendor and flash it. I wish Peplink offered an upgrade path with warranty.

How can you get the correct firmware from the vendor? Contact them directly and ask? How would they know?

Let’s say I have a Sierra Wireless EM9191. How to get the proper one for this?

What do you mean how would they know. They produce the modem card. You can create an account with Sierra Wireless and download the firmware.

I mean that the stock firmware for these modules that you can download from the Sierra Wireless site, does not necessarily make the module work in a Peplink router.

As a specific example, when we were succesful in upgrading the Cat IV modules to Cat VI, we got a hold of some Sierra Wireless MC7455. Out of all the firmware options available to download from the Sierra Wireless site, the only one we found to be working was: 02.24.05.06.00 Generic 002.026.000.

I think I also asked Peplink at one stage, and they told me as much that they are running something proprietary for the newer modules. However, should anyone have found a solution for upgrading the newer ones that are actually working, I’m very interested.

Ah now I see what you’re saying. I know with my BR1 and BR2 the firmware shown to be running matches the firmware numbers that Sierra Wireless has listed. The only way you’d know if it was directly from the modem vender versus Peplink would be to do a hash check.