Bonjour over VPN

I finally have the PEP VPN working between the Main and a Home office.
Unfortunately due to the fact that both routers have to be on a differen LAN iP range we cannot see the internal resourses without entering the AFP: ip address of the drive or printer.
This is not how I had expected it to work. The promice and hope was that the PEP VPN would act like a etheret connection trough the cloud and the remote office(s) would appear as one network.

Martin was super helpfull in getting the PEP VPN working and suggested that I look into enabling the Bonjour funktion.

I have tried with the same the working PEP VPN enabled and with the version wher I have both on the same LAN iP range.
In the first case non of the resources would become available in Finder like it should happen under bonjour.
Next I tried again with both routers on the same LAN iP range in witch case I cannot establish connection.

What I am missing this time :rolleyes:

Hi ScooterIT,

Are you referring to our Layer 2 SpeedFusion VPN?

If so, you may check on this KB article on the configuration guide.

Let us know if this helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks and regards.

I guess that might be what I want.
Will give it a try.

OK I am trying to follow the KB article but I already get stopped dead in my tracks. The KB article has a number of assumptions. I kindly suggest you update it and provice me with some further clarification.

1. I can’t see the same first screenshot unless one finds the hidden option undet he “?” to switch to the advancede mode.
  2. Do I add ro change the current “Untagged Lan”? I don’t want to assume one has to create multiple LAN’s…
  3. The screenshots in the KB Article only show parts of the sceen a user get to see and leads to confusion and assumptions.

I would greaty appriciate it (and for future audience who comes across this post) if you would clarify the following questions as I also added in my attached screenshot.

1. IP Settings > IP Address: do I need to fill out anything if so what?
  2. Network settings: Can I enter any self choosen name and VLAN ID?
  3. Does one have to change anyting under the default settings under the DHCP Server section?

My aplolgies if I sound overly critical but I have learned the hard way no to assume anything and rather ask a “dumb” questions. As experts who are well versed might not realize that othets might not be on the same track as they are :slight_smile:

Do allow to give you a concept of Layer 2 SpeedFusion before going into the configuration. Please find the diagram below. This is an example of Layer 2 SpeedFusion design if you need the same network (same IP range) on both locations.

Questions below allowed me to understand further on your need:

1. How many Vlans you have on both locations? Each Vlan need to be communicated? If so, the design will be more complicated.

2. Do you have DHCP server in your network?

3. How the users on both location access to internet? Similar to the attached Diagram or local break-out?

1. Non unless I have to create one to make this work
  2. No DHCP is done by this router
  3. a.Main office max 10.
    b.2 remote home offices.
    2.Home offices one person working remotely with unkown number on their home network.

Please find the diagram below.

Look like this is your design. May I know how you want the clients at both sites to access internet? Clients access internet via their nearest WAN link respectively? If this is what you want, below is the steps. Please take note, the client at Remote Office has to use static IP. This is to avoid 2 DHCP servers in network 192.168.1.x and clients on both side pointing to the correct gateway.

HQ

Create SF profile

Associate SF profile to Untagged Vlan.

Remote Office

Create SF profile

Associate SF profile to Untagged Vlan.

Hope this help.

1 Like