[bonding] max bro mini - LTE + starlink wan

aloha,
I am using my max bro mini now since several month in my van (LTE sim and on demand starlink wan when camping) and I am wondering whether it is possible to combine/ bond the two configured priority channels:

• let’s assume hypothetically LTE has a downlink of 40mbit and uplink of 30 Mbit and starlink provides 80mbit down and 15 Mbit up
  • is there a way to configure eg an outbound policy that ends up providing the WLAN Client a joint downlink of 120mbit and uplink of 45mbit ?

or what exactly is the function of having to active priority channels ? and what is the “function” of each policy algorithm (weighted balance, persistence,…)?

thaanx for any hint
cheeerz from austria

A single LAN client that runs applications that create multiple sessions can have those sessions distributed / load balanced across multiple active WANs.
If those multiple distributed sessions then saturate the active WANs then you would be able to use the entire available bandwidth of each WAN at the same time.

However. We often want to have a single session split up so it can use all available WANs at the same time. Like a single file upload. When load balancing, a single session is tied to a single WAN so can only use the bandwidth that is available on that single link.

That is where Speedfusion Bonding comes in. It enables a single session to use the bandwidth on more than one link simultaneously. It is a point to point technology, where your device is one point and you need another Peplink appliance / service to connect your SpeedFusion bonding to to put the traffic back together again and forward to the internet.

You can use Peplink’s SpeedFusion cloud service to do that, or host your own FusionHub appliance, or speak to a partner who can help.

Explained here Load Balancing Methods & Algorithms- Peplink

1 Like

hi, thanx so much for your reply:

• i already have setup a speedfusion appliance in aws and have successfully connected those “guys” together but still do not fully understand how this now works …

and short example is that when I recently had a starlink WAN and a cellular 4g connection active in my primary connections (WAN):

• starlink with as written above with 80mit down / 15 mbit up and the cellular with 40mbit down and 30mbit up
  • from a client perspective I tried a speedtest.net and just got the bandwith of the first primary WAN link (starlink) and NOT the combined bandwith => what I would have expected with the speedfusion setup enabled

I am quite sure this ist “just” some configuration issue (hopefully) :wink: any further advice ?

=> attached a screenshot from current running speedfusion setup (van is parked currently without starlink running ,just cellular 4g)

Excellent.
So next step is to plug your Starlink in let it settle and then click on the graph button in your screenshot above next to the tunnel you are using.

Then run some speedtests to populate the graph and screenshot it and post it here. There is an export button on the graph page.

We can then work out how to tune speedfusion to use the links more effectively.

1 Like

ok great … will have possibility tomorrow when i travel to hungary … will post once I have the screenshots
thanx so much
cheerz from vienna

till then I just have another questions around my topic here

• as you can see on the screenshot - I have added another Wifi (snall 4g router wifi with another sim from another provider) - it looks green in dashboard
  • BUT on the speedfusion status page it is shown as red ("

")

again a configuration issue ? or maybe something wrong with the SIM … has to check this evening

ok here we go …

The speedfusion status shows

Which means that data is not getting to the fusionhub over this link so Speedfusion marks it as down. There coul dbe some filtering going on on the cellular router. Sometimes higher port numbers (like UDP 4500 used by Speedfusion) ca be blocked by ISPs.

That’s the graphs we need but we want to see what happens when you start using Speedfusion. So open the graph in a tab and then start pushing and pulling data over the tunnel. Speedtest.net is fine, or the inbuilt speedfusion bandwidth test tool. Then post the graphs again here.

…i think we are getting there because I have no clue how to “start” the speed fusion channel - can you give me some more details how to “activate” speed fusion (I see it is correctly configured in my case but it seems that I am not using it correctly :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

…what I have right now is a this outbound policy where at least I think I found a way how to use my speed fusion bonding channel

but I am not really sure :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

so … can someone give me some feedback whether my speedfusion bonding is working based on the exported statistics graph ?
thanx in advance