Blocking windows 10 updates

How can i effectively block windows 10 update on pepwave router with firmware 8.0

I imagine you could put a local DNS entry for update.microsoft.com to resolve to 127.0.0.1 (or some other address that isn’t windows update). There is a more complete-looking list on this page for all the domains used in windows update. (2nd comment has the domain names)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b3327a8c-88e0-4b7e-a1be-446498f726d8/list-of-update-server-addresses?forum=winserverwsus

In my experience, it isn’t hard to break windows update. The difficulty is in trying to get it to work most of the time. Good luck buddy.

1 Like

Wow, have you come to the right place. Been fighting this for a while and it works. I now have to connect to a VPN (to bypass these router restrictions) to update Windows 10. In Content Blocking block

update.microsoft.com
mp.microsoft.com
windowsupdate.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com

To prevent Microsoft from spying on you, also block telemetry.microsoft.com and browser.events.data.msn.com (used by Edge browser).

If Content Blocking alone is not sufficient, I have long list of Local DNS records for you.

1 Like