BGP, LAN Network Advertising

Hello, I’m not sure if this is a feature request or a config issue,

We have multiple /24 blocks and we have multiple upstream providers,
and we want to announce only certain blocks to certain upstream providers which pipelink has the option to do, only when we use multiple LAN with multiple VLANs, not when we use multiple subnets in one LAN , the only option on BGP then will be to announce the entire LAN with all subnets
is there any workaround?

We do not have this option now. In upcoming major firmware release (Q2-2020 or later), there will be “export filter” for you to filter routes. I’ll check if we can provide a special firmware to you if you can’t wait.

1 Like

all we need is the ability to select which network should be announced to each connection
like this

the issue we have now is that if I select LAN it will announce all subnets in the LAN,

will filter export help with that?
and we need urgently,

Hi,

With new export filter feature, you can exclude the additional LAN networks:

We are preparing the firmware for you. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Hi,

Firmware with “Route Export Filter”:
Balance 2500:
https://download.peplink.com/firmware/plb2500/fw-b305hw2_380hw6_580hw2_710hw3_1350hw2_2500-8.0.2s030-build2732.bin
EPX:
https://download.peplink.com/firmware/epx/fw-epx_mbx_sdx-8.0.2s030-build1430.bin

1 Like

Thanks for making that happen Kenny!

1 Like

thank you !

1 Like

@Kenny

I have tested with new firmware, looks like its not having any effect , the other router still gets ALL routes, even when in my router status, it shows exported only 1
BGP config:

Hi,

There is a bug that cause route export filter not working in your setup.

This firmware fixed that issue.

1 Like

thanks looks like its working will keep you posted

1 Like

it works as described but trying to understand,
in “route export” what is the purpose of the “accept” option?
it will announce everything selected in “network advertising” and then I can 'reject" some networks not to announce, what is there to accept?
I think the right way will be that even if I don’t select anything in “Network Advertising”
I should be able to announce networks with the accept option, makes senses ?

1 Like

Hi,

It is because each BGP profile can “redistribute” routes from OSPF (most likely SpeedFusion) and other BGP profiles (if that profile has “Export to other BGP Profile” selected). User may not able to determine what routes will be distributed, in this case, you need to use “accept” to white list the routes.

1 Like

got it ,
can it eventually be used to export routes trough that and not need to use the advertiser ?
it makes a different if we want to announce smaller then /24 blocks for internal routers ,
i cannot create this blocks in LAN since its /26 which is part of /24 , and if i create a /26 the upstream provider will not accept it since they will only accept a /24 minimum,
and peplink dose not allow to create to overlapping networks ( meaning a / 24 and then a smaller /26 in the same subnet ,

1 Like

you mean allow user to enter custom routes to advertise? This is on the roadmap but not available now.

1 Like

yes thanks

1 Like

Route Export filter and Custom Route Advertising over BGP will be available in next major firmware.

3 Likes