Best outbound policy for web browsing

I have a balance 20 with a shared DSL connection (living in an apartment) going into WAN 1 and a 3G Modem for Mobile Internet. My question is regarding the best outbound policy to set up for web browsing. I would like to sort by source, but I am more concerned whether you should use persistence over the faster of the 2 wans, or will weighted with 10/10 for both WAN connections be better? It seems like when I have weighted 10/10 it is slower when browsing the internet, and speeds on speedtest.net are slower. Any help would be appreciated. I mainly am just wanting to make sure I am using the peplink device to it’s full capability and to my full advantage.

Hi Randall,

Thank you for the inquiry. Honestly the rule setup is by your preference, but I can say a common deployment would be to setup a Priority rule for the faster WAN for Port 80 traffic and not specify a Source or Destination.

That way you are keeping Web traffic on the faster WAN and not sacrificing connectivity if the line goes down. Priority will stay on the connection until it fails and then it will fail over to the 2nd WAN in the list, that way you don’t have downtime.

I hope this helps Randall, Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Jason

The Peplink Team

Thanks, I hadn’t used priority, i was using persistence over the quicker WAN, I will give it a try though. Oh yeah, the 3g modem is working great, the custom firware that was created by the engineering dept is great.

Hi Randall,

Glad to hear that the 3g stuff is still working great.

Yes, try the rules and see how they work, let us know how it goes. If we need to keep tweaking and adjusting it, we can open a support ticket for the issue.

Best Regards,

Jason

The Peplink Team