Best EQ Recommendation

We run a internet development business from our home. We originally set up with DSL which is capped out at 10m/768k, served with a static IP.

We recently added cable with a speed of 50m/10m, but over a dynamic ip.

We have a webserver at our location that we’d like to keep local that is currently hosted on the DSL. Is there any way to bond the two WANs together using a Peplink appliance to allow the combined bandwidth of both the DSL and the Cable to serve webpages?

Yes. Buy a dual WAN device (look at the Balance One) host a free FusionHub virtual appliance in the cloud (I use Vultr it costs $5/month an includes 1TB of bandwidth) which gives you a public static IP. You then use SpeedFusion VPN between the Balnce One and the Fusionhub and port forward over that VPN from the public IP of the FusionHub to the web server hosted on the LAN of the Balance One.

I made a video here showing how to set up Fusionhub on Vultr. Setting Up FusionHub on Vultr – Martin Langmaid – SDWAN Architect


Thank you for the quick reply.

What would you project the bandwidth to be upstream?

Officially the calculation would be:
(0.768Mbps - 19%) + (10Mbps - 19%) = (0.622Mbps) + (8.1Mbps) = 8.72Mbps

This is because of overheads required to use bonding.

What I would suggest you do is use hot-failover instead. So all upload traffic is served by the 50/10Mbps connection unless it is fault in which case the original link is used.

The benefit being that the IP used by remote browsers never changes, even when the WAN links do.

You could also consider adding in 4G/LTE which tends to have lots of unsaturated upload bandwidth available.


Again, thank you. This is amazing. Would would monthly costs of this be? just the $5 for Vultr?

In year one yes. Year 2 there is a cost to continue to manage the devices in InControl - the cloud management platform. Its not a lot (maybe £110/year) and is made up of Essential Care for the Balance One (SVL-768)) and InControl2 Subscription for the Fusionhub (ICS-012).

If you go for the balance one (BPL-ONE) you will need the SpeedFusion bonding license (BPL-ONE-LC-SF) if you want hot failover / bonding, so make sure you get that too.

However, if you can cope with all sessions dropping when a WAN fails and needing to be rebuilt on the failover WAN then you can just use the VPN element (PepVPN) without the SpeedFusion license.

Either way gives you the static Public IP via the cloud hosted FusionHub Appliance that you need.

1 Like