Beacon / DTIM Settings for a mixed deployment of AP ONE AC Mini and AP ONE AX devices

Dear forum,

i have a mixed deployment of several AP One AC Mini and AP ONE AX devices in a buidling.

After having done several tests to increase WIFI (coverage and throughput), I ended up with the following settings related to Beacons:

1. AP One Ac Mini:

1. AP One AX:

This significantly leads to more WIFI throughput then the standard setting of Beacon Interval 100 ms and DTIM = 1.

How is your experience with these settings? How do you test the effectiveness after changes?

Only thing I am not fully clear about is, if could be an issue, that AP ONE AC Mini has a max. Beacon Rate of max. 1 Mbps for 2,4 Ghz Wifi while the AP ONE can use higher rates (i kept the default setting of 6 Mbps) for such a mixed setting.
Meaning the AP coverage overleaps in the applied building.

Is there a way to change this settings within InControl2 instead of AP settings on the device GUI?

Kind regards,
Chris

@TK_Liew : please allow me to bring this inquiry to your attention. Can you maybe please help me further?

If the purpose is to increase the coverage, I suggest adjusting the transmit power.

There are pros and cons of increasing the beacon rate and interval. Increasing the values would give more airtime for other data traffic. However, there’s a chance the WIFI client would miss the SSID when scanning and switching channels. Please ensure the WIFI client connects with adequate WIFI signal strength (-70dBm and above) and try to narrow the interference.

2 Likes

What DTIM and Beacon Intervall would You recommend for my mixed AP Hardware setup each AP having 4-5 SSIDs to distribute? As I do not use old 802.11b devices anymore, which min. allowed beacon transmit rate setting in mbps would you recommend in this szenario?
if AP ONE AC Mini would be set to a min. allowed Beacon Rate of 1 Mbps for 2,4 Ghz Wifi while the AP ONE would be set to a higher rate in 2,4GHz Wifi (i kept the default setting of 6 Mbps) would you recommend that I run the WIFI with such a mixed setting? Or should I remove the low rates and set all APs to 6 or 11 Mbit/s to further reduce beacon overhead in same building?
I tried that out using Andrew von Nagy‘s overhead calculator. see examples (considering 4 APs each distributing 4-5 SSIDs):

So using a min. transmit rate of 6 mbps on 500 ms beacon rate (DTIM 1) would be < 2% overhead for example. Alternatively min. 11 mbps and 250 ms or even better 500 ms would also be great with 1,62%:

So this setting appears to be a good compromise to me:

What would You recommend? :blush:

We recommend default settings. It looks like you want to adjust the beacon settings. Mind sharing the reason? You may face a negative impact by adjusting the beacon settings. If it is a coverage issue, you may adjust the transmit power. For throughput issue, you may ensure the WIFI client gets adequate WIFI signal strength, narrow down the interference, and ensure it roams to the nearest AP.