Basic Router WiFi Setup Question

I need some advice on setup differences between Balance with AP1 mini and Surf SOHO. The goal in both setups is to have WiFi isolated on its own VLAN to prevent WiFi access to the main computer. On the SOHO I set the WiFi to VLAN 3, with no inter-VLAN routing. The main computer is connected to the untagged LAN on port 1, which is also set to no inter-VLAN routing. WiFi Clients can use the internet (wired WAN) no problem even with the main computer disconnected.

On the balance, I can only log into the AP1 if I allow inter-VLAN routing on both the untagged LAN and on the wired AP1 VLAN ethernet port. That arrangement allows the AP1 clients to access the main computer. Is it correct to use the inter-VLAN routing for AP setup only, then simply uncheck the boxes and let the WiFi take care of itself? What setup do I need on the Balance to allow WiFi access to the WAN internet connection?

Thank you!
Sparky5

The goal in both setups is to have WiFi isolated on its own VLAN to prevent WiFi access to the main computer.

Network segmentation is not focused on one computer, its focused on groups of them.

On the SOHO I set the WiFi to VLAN 3, with no inter-VLAN routing.

Do you want devices using this SSID to see each other? You get to choose.

On the balance, I can only log into the AP1 if I allow inter-VLAN routing on both the untagged LAN and on the wired AP1 VLAN ethernet port. That arrangement allows the AP1 clients to access the main computer. Is it correct to use the inter-VLAN routing for AP setup only, then simply uncheck the boxes and let the WiFi take care of itself? What setup do I need on the Balance to allow WiFi access to the WAN internet connection?

Lets back up. Which Balance model? Which firmware version?

I think all of them can act as AP controllers. In that case you control the AP from the Balance router. It sounds like you are not using the AP controller software in the router. True?

Thank you. In my case I don’t have a group of computers. I’m starting slow and building out. At present, it is just one main computer, ethernet printer and WiFi. I probably should use the Balance 20 AP controller and forget the direct AP interface.

I have a Balance 20, fw 8.1.0. WAN (fiber) connection to the LAN works great. WiFi connections are the next step. What seems obvious on the SOHO, isn’t obvious with the Balance 20. I have layer 2 isolation checked, since I am not a business and WiFi users don’t need to talk to each other. At this point, I’m trying for a basic configuration that keeps WiFi users away from other parts of the network, but still allows me to access the AC1 if necessary.

Thank you,
S5