Balance X20 - Device already belongs to another organization - From Amazon Store

Hello,

I have purchased a new Peplink Balance X20 router from Amazon Peplink Store. When setting up InControl2, I noticed that the router is still registered with someone else.

What can I do now?
Nobody responds to my case via ticket?

And how can a new router be 2 years old and no longer have a warranty?

Who can help me?

shipped and sold by amazon?

return it, get refund, order a new one from shipped & sold by amazon or an authorized reseller

1 Like

The router was purchased from the Amazon Peplink Store and shipped by Amazon.

Too bad that Peplink sells used hardware as new in the Amazon Store as a Certified Store …

I don’t think I’ll be buying any more products … Because you can never be sure if you’ll get something that works.

1 Like

Who was the seller? Amazon or someone else? Can you post a redacted copy of your full receipt?

1 Like

Amazon is well known to be a cesspool, so something like this is not a surprise

I would guess that all the B20x routers are thrown into one literal bucket by Amazon no matter where they came from. Thus, the emphasis on who, technically, is the seller is misplaced because a good seller could be made to look bad by this merging process that Amazon uses.

This does beg a question though. If the original purchaser had restored the B20x to factory settings before returning it, does that also wipe out the InControl registration?

yes i have been hearing about this comingling of inventory. its quite alarming to be honest. especially for things you ingest or use on your body.

1 Like

Hello @Michael234

Unfortunately, a factory reset will have no impact on an InControl registration. Once a device has been registered with an InControl account, the device will report/reflect what InControl has “control of” with that device.

When an InControl registered device makes an Internet connection, it takes over that device, when the InControl option is selected from the local admin.

The good news in this scenario though… IF InControl is deselected from the local admin interface, the device can work perfectly as expected locally - just no “cloud” based control access.

1 Like

Thanks Lee

Since the full functionality is not available to you (control of IC2 is missing) this is not a “new” device. If sold as new, then I’d recommend

1. return it to Amazon for a full refund, and
  2. lodge it as a disputed transaction with your credit card (under the category of “misrepresentation of item sold”, specifically, that it was sold as new, but it was demonstrably not in the state of a new (unused, unopened, not activated) device.

Amazon usually accepts the return, but I have seen at least one case where my CC company had to go to bat for me, and it was a very similar issue: An item that was clearly an open box (with missing pieces) had been sold as new. Amazon was pretty obnoxious about it, but my CC company refunded the funds right away, and based on the documentation I provided they closed the case.

Good luck, and I hope your CC company is supportive.

Cehers,

Z

2 Likes