I need some assistance in selecting a dual WAN router for my home network.
I currently have the Comcast cable Internet service (260 MBps), but I want the ability to add a 2nd WAN service for redundancy if I switch to VOIP and to avoid a Comcast lockin. The 2nd service could be ATT or a wireless interface.
My current configuration:
- Comcast Service 260 MBps
- Motorola MB8600 Cable Modem (10/100/1000 WAN port)
- Netgear FV114 router (10/100), this is an old router that I want to replace which is limiting my download speed to around 25-30 MBps. A laptop connected directly to the Cable Modem had a 250 MBps download speed test.
- Structured Wiring Panel with Cat5e Ethernet cables to various home computers.
- Most of the home computers have 10/100/1000 Ethernet interfaces.
I have been reviewing the specs for the Balance 20 router, and I think that router has a throughput bottleneck.
- The Balance 20 WAN ports are 1 GBps
- The Balance 20 Stateful Firewall Throughput is 150 Mbps
- The Balance 20 LAN ports are 1 GBps
So my questions:
- Will my actual throughput be limited by the Stateful Firewall Throughput at 150 MBps?
- If so, are there better router options without breaking the bank?