Balance One the right option?

Hi, I was hoping to get some insight as to whether the Balance One would be an appropriate option for my needs.

Below is a list of requirements that I need to have met by the device. Thanks!!

a. 3+ Eth WAN interfaces to load balance across
b. DHCP Server for 2+ LAN Segments
c. Firewalling to allow only Guest to Internet traffic from Guest network - Prevent access to other LAN/s
d. Allow Protected Office LAN to Guest Network for management of HW on guest segment.
e. Prioritization of Protected Office LAN traffic over Guest
f. Global throughput max for Guest LAN
g. Per user (Per source IP) BW control for Guest users under congestion (I’d prefer per-source shaping IP to some sort of captive portal, but either would do.)
h. Ability to export config and load on a 2nd router for cold standby
Note: No need for Wireless on the box.

A Balance One Core with additional WAN-unlock license can work for all the mentioned requirements.
Can I ask how many users are there in your required setup?

Thank you!
I’d expect the Office subnet to contain around 20 devices.
The max associated guest count could be 150 or so. Unfortunately, they will be heavily oversubscribed due to the lack of broadband options, which creates the need for multiple 12M/2M cable modems.
I am hoping that due to the nature of the business, there will be only 10-20% of the associated guests concurrently active.

Should be fine in that case. There’s a recommended users section in our products comparison that you can use as a guideline.
As per discussed, Balance One Core can be considered. Here’s the link to the comparison chart. http://www.peplink.com/products/balance-one/

You can go for Balance One Core (BPL-ONE-CORE) plus upgrade license (BPL-ONE-LC-5WAN).

Thank you again. Do you offer an online simulation of the GUI so that I can get an idea of the ease of configuration?

Oh, and one other question. As far as the upgrade license (BPL-ONE-LC-5WAN) and an extended support license, I do not see these listed on Amazon.com. Can these be purchased through your site directly? I’d really rather not involve some 3rd party with no web storefront.

Wow, this is unbelievably easy… However, under “User Groups” and “Bandwidth Control” , it seems that if I add/delete user groups, they do not disappear under “Bandwidth Control”. For example, if I delete the “Manager” group, it still has a portion of the bandwidth allocated under BW control. Is this just an inconsistency in the demo?

And finally, to the question above: As far as the upgrade license (BPL-ONE-LC-5WAN) and an extended support license, I do not see these listed on Amazon.com. Can these be purchased through your site directly? I’d really rather not involve some 3rd party with no web storefront.

thanks again!!

The Manager, Staff, and Guests are pre-defined categories. If you create a new group you have to assign it to one of these categories. You can purchase the license key directly on our site:
http://store.peplink.com/software-add-ons/others/wan-port-activation-license-for-balance-one-core.html
Thanks.

One other thing please. I would like the captive portal to only be active for the guest subnet. The office subnet should not need to use it and should have direct access out. How can this be accomplished as I do not see how I am to apply the captive portal to only one subnet or LAN port etc?

Update - I see the option now, had to switch to multi-VLAN mode.

Here you go.

Thank you again. As I go through the demo though, it would seem that there is no option in the demo to put specific LAN ports in specific VLANs. There is mention of trunking on the LAN ports, but I need to use the LAN ports as access ports rather than trunk ports, and simply have them assigned to different VLANs with firewalling in-between the L3 RVIs. I assume this is because of the model used for the demo (Balance 710) only having one LAN port available. I looked into the Balance One user manual and it also doesn’t mention applying specific VLANs to LAN ports as access ports. Am I correct in assuming it is capable of this though?

You are correct, the online demo is that of a 710 which does not have the port-based VLAN capability. The Balance One definitely has this option in the GUI once you enable the VLAN capability. Thanks.