Balance One Reboot Issue

I currently own a BR1 Mini, Balance One, Balance 20, 3x AP One Rugged, AP One Enterprise. The B1 has currently replaced the B20 (was having unresponsive issues with the B20 with FW 8.1.0 as discussed in a separate post); however, I am having issues where the B1 is rebooting randomly. I have about 20 devices connected to the network and with 2 users and a 75M/25M internet connection

I have checked the power, increased the voltage regulation sensitivity on the UPS, replaced the 12V 2A power supply, and checked temperature where the B1 is hosted (69F). I am currently running FW 8.1.0 build 4943. I have NOT tried adjusting the AP settings, the B1 is currently using the internal AP, 2x AP One Rugged, and 1 AP One Enterprise. Was not sure exactly how to disable the internal AP.

Any suggestions on what else I can try to stop the random rebooting? I am enjoying the performance of the B1 over the B20 and would like to keep it I can get this issue resolved. The B1 is used and out of warranty.

Thank you.

|Oct 14 17:25:14|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 14 02:34:24|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 13 22:47:10|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 13 18:48:46|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 13 12:24:30|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 09 18:52:31|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 09 18:41:41|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 09 17:51:29|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|
|Oct 09 01:58:15|System: Started up (8.1.0 build 4943)|

If its any consolation, I have a brand new Balance 20x and 2 days of it being online, wifi would drop out completely (no broadcasts), dhcp not assigning IPs, could not connect wired to access web admin. Had to unplug/plug device to regain access.

I’ve had support on this for a 3 weeks now, and since then, have applied 2 custom firmwares. They’ve also enabled remote logging and I have remote assistance enabled for them to play around. I started noticing the random reboots just as you pointed out above after the first custom firmware was applied. Wifi would drop out, but come back online a few minutes later. Logs revealed a System Started up message.

Since the second custom firmware has been applied, they’ve also asked that I disable the local AP on the B20x (good thing I had just brought 2 AP minis online to maintain wifi connectivity!), disable URL logging, content blocking and all schedules.

I ran without any issues for about 4 days so they asked I re-enable each feature one by one and observe if reboots reoccurs.

I’ve re-enabled the local AP on the B20x a few days ago, and yesterday, URL logging… so far no issue. I’ll give it a couple more days before enabling the next feature.

Not sure what the issues are… but hopefully they’ve found a bug and are addressing it in the next public release.

1 Like

Thanks Stego, how do I disable the internal AP?

I don’t have a Balance One. I presume you have one with built in wifi? Not the core?

The B20x has a way to disable on the dashboard or you can use the router utility app.

I guess you can disable it if you don’t need it.

That worked for the Balance One too. I was afraid that would disable my AP One’s, but it did not. Hope this works. I don’t use content blocking. What do you mean by schedules? I checked the support page and no reboots are scheduled.

Schedules as in scheduling AP off time/on time.

I didn’t want to imply that disabling the built in AP was going to solve your issue.

I was just sharing my experience. Plus I’m running custom firmware provided by support to further troubleshoot.

I’d say open a ticket with support if you encounter issues going forward, assuming you are still under warranty or have extended support.

Ah, I understand the schedules statement now. Thanks again for the suggestions. I implied it might fix my issue more as a comment of positive and wishful thinking.

I was actually having Balance 20 issues with firmware 8.1.0 and bought a used Balance One for the greater throughput so no warranty. I guess I can always try the custom firmware and possibly revert back to the Balance 20.

Disabled the internal AP and the B1 has been stable for about 72 hours. Any community suggestions on what settings within the AP controller should be my next focus?

Thank you.

Here is a suggestion: try firmware version 7 with the internal WiFi enabled. Firmware 8.1 was a big update and has been problematic for others too. You can download it from here

As for the rebooting while running firmware 8.1, you could have downloaded a diagnostic report from the router and opened a problem ticket. I would expect Peplink to look at it even if the Balance One is out of warranty.