Balance 30 wan1 less usage than wan2 and wan3?

We have a balance30 which we just purchased two weeks ago. Seems that usage is most at wan3 then wan2 then wan1. Issue is, Wan1 is a 10x1Mbps cable line and wan 2 and wan 3 are hsdsl 4x4mbps lines. Wan3 seems to use the most bandwidth and then wan2 then wan1. With wan1, it’s only using a meg or so at the most whereas wan3 and wan2 are just about maxed out. This is all on the Down link side as we don’t have much uplink traffic. Another note, seems that wan3 gets the most usage.

Below is the usage stats by wan, any help getting it to either equally load the traffic or making it so a majority of the traffic is being pulled from wan1 would really be appreciated.

All WAN Connections 186.61 GB53.44 GB240.05 GB
WAN1 10Mbps x 1Mbps WAN156.21 GB10.25 GB66.46 GB
WAN2 4Mbps x 4Mbps WAN267.61 GB23.51 GB91.12 GB
WAN3 4Mbps X 4Mbps WAN362.78 GB19.69 GB82.47 GB

[TABLE=“class: form_table, width: 1”]

Balance_A22E

Model
Peplink Balance 30

Hardware Revision

Serial Number
1824-750C-XXXX

Firmware
5.4.6 build 1585

[TR=“class: tablecontent2b, bgcolor: #E6E6EB”]
Modem Support Version
1008 (Modem Support List)

[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Thanks in advance!

I think you would need to share your outbound policy in order for us to help you better configure it

Jadeforest.

If you are using the weighted balance algorithm, it is important to adjust the sliders to ensure the correct balancing of outgoing traffic.

You can visit the following link for more detail about the different load balancing algorithms and how to configure them properly:

http://www.peplink.com/index.php?view=faq&id=110&path=19

Algorithm Source Destination Protocol / Port
Del Enforced WAN: WAN1 IP Address 10.10.50.172 Any Any
HTTPS_Persis…Persistence (Src) (Auto) Any Any TCP 443 Default (Auto)

So i followed the instructions but I was a bit confused. I had the sliders all to the right at 10 for wan1 10/1mbps, wan2 4/4mbps and wan3 4/4mbps. Was that correct? I then changed it after reading the tutorial below to the recommended settings and then the slider for wan1 was left at 10 and wan 2 and 3 i dropped to number 7. What i am trying to accomplish is to get all three wans taking their share of the load and the wan1 doing about double as its got 10mbps over the other two’s 4mbps…

thanks for your reply but as you can see by my reply to your first, i already read that post. So by my response, do i have the right idea? Seems clients are getting swapped around when it comes time to upload. So if you do a speed test on one of the speed test sites, the download rocks and then the upload stalls. Any other ideas?

You are in the right direction. Come from a pure bandwidth allocation perspective, the optimal Weighted Round Robin algorithm weighting should be.

WAN1: 10
WAN2: 4
WAN2: 4

This way more than half of your Internet sessions will be routed to WAN1. The rest will then be shared by WAN2 and 3. And I did just use your WAN download bandwidth to come up with this weighting because well although every Internet session consists of download and upload traffic, typical usage e.g. web browsing, video streaming, HTTP download etc. needs much more download bandwidth than upload.

Peplink won’t slow down your upload bandwidth but it is not unusual to have slower upload speed than download from your ISP so that might just be the reason for a, slower than download, upload speedtest result.

One thing I always remind myself when looking at my historical WAN usage and see how they spread out on different WAN is that, when an Internet session is established, it is not often we can tell whether this will be a bandwidth intensive session or otherwise. When a HTTP session is established, we can’t tell whether this will be for downloading a 700MB Ubuntu 13.04 Alpha image or simply a Google search. In this sense, if we have 3 HTTP sessions going out, each are distributed to one WAN, their bandwidth usage could be very different. And as soon as an IP session is established on a WAN, routing it to another WAN will changes the associated WAN IP and break the session as a result.

Over time the bandwidth usage should come close to your the weighting you define. Hope this helps.