Balance 30 Pro LTE Failover from WAN to 4G not gaining IP address

We have a Balance 30 Pro LTE with LTE 4G as primary and WAN1 as backup when 4G signal drops below 2 bars signal strength.

The failover from primary 4G to WAN1 works perfectly when the Peplink goes out of range of mobile signal.

When the mobile signal comes back in range the Peplink drops the WAN1 connection, moves over to the 4G connection but the 4G connection just shows “obtaining IP address” but never receives an IP so doesn’t fully connect, leaving the Peplink without any internet connection.

The work round we are using is to restart the Peplink. It picks up 4G signal and receives an IP address, connecting to the internet.

Any suggestions in how we can fix this issue would be great!!

Thanks Phill

The router should only fail back to 4G when it has a healthy connection - what health check is set at the moment on the 4G?

Hi Martin
The router does failback to 4G when it has a healthy connection and the VSAT/WAN connection automatically drops. Problem is that the 4G sits trying to get an IP from the service provider but it never receives an IP. On router restart (when in cellular range) it picks up an IP address straight away.

The health check is default “smart check”.

Rgds
Phill

I have since changed the setup. I now have both VSAT(WAN) and Cellular as “always on” then used a outbound policy which prioritises which internet connection based on response time. I will see how that works.

I have since changed the setup. I now have both VSAT(WAN) and Cellular as “always on” then used a outbound policy which prioritises which internet connection based on response time. I will see how that works.

The settings changes made no difference, cellular still sits obtaining IP address until the Peplink is rebooted.
I’ve now set the health check to 4 bars, to hopefully ensure the cellular has a good signal before cutting in.

The issue has been resolved. I replaced the Balance 30 Pro with a Balance 20x. Since then I have had no issue.