Balance 30 - How to determine actual speed of ports?

Both LAN and WAN ports. Looking for a display of the actual speed the link is connecting at (either 100Mbps or 1000Mbps). So not the setting. The actual link speed.

Secondary question. The Upload bandwidth and download bandwidth of a WAN connection defaults to 100Mbps. We just procured an internet source (Starlink) that exceeds those defaults. It seems obvious the defaults here should be raised but wish to confirm in case I am mis-interpreting the purpose of this setting.

Login to device, then change index.cgi to support.cgi

screen-hunter-01-feb.jpg

2 Likes

May I add a bit to what @C_Metz said? You can (and should) change the defaults upwards from 100Mb/sec but this might be a good time to point out that you’ll be challenging this router with Starlink. The “30” was an excellent router when it was manufactured but its stateful firewall throughput is limited to about 150Mb/sec in its later versions. And, that figure is a bit optimistic in my experience. It can be attained but only in certain circumstances. This might be a good time to think about a replacement. Devices such as the 20X and Balance One are much better matched to Starlink – particularly if you want to use a second WAN. Peplink has a good comparison table here. Oh, and congratulations on getting Starlink!

2 Likes

Very instructive. I’m going to have to force one link to 1Gb and hopefully it will take.

image.png

That’s more like it. Ha to swap out the Ethernet cord.

image.png

Great info! We have been on legacy satellite service the entire time we’ve had the Balance. Never occurred to me it may not handle the throughput. I am also having to re-think our wireless backbone as it is made up of Ubiquiti Bullets, which the generation we have maxes out at 150Mbps.

Thank you!

2 Likes