Balance 30 for HughesNet Gen5 and DSL WAN

Because CenturyLink has been in BW Exhaust for nearly a year I have added HughesNet Gen 5 (48 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload). I put the HughesNet Gen 5 on WAN1 and put the CenturyLink 8 Mbps DSL on WAN2, putting it into to cold start mode … in this mode I get 18 Mpbs throughput on the HughesNet. So there is something not working, I would think the WAN1 would give me the full speed, and that it would fallover to the inactive WAN 2 DSL when and if I lose HughesNet due to weather… What do I need to do?

1. Can you share the physical connectivity how you do the speed test? Like this?

Laptop —wired connection—> Balance 30 (WAN1) —> HughesNet router —> Internet

1. Have you connect the laptop directly to the HughesNet router and do the speed test? If so, what is the result?

2. Are you able to login to the HughesNet router and make some changes? If not, possible to check with the provider to gain the access?

1 Like

TK:

The configuration that I tried indeed was:

Windows 7 PC —100BaseTX—> Balance 30 (WAN1) —> HughesNet router —> Internet

In that configuration, with nothing else plugged into the LAN or WAN side of the Balance 30 I got SpeedTest:

24.5 Mbps download, 3 Mbps upload with 438 msec latency. The HN Modem-Router does compression… and apparently the PepLink does not like that.

This is the Working configuration that I am now using

Windows 7 PC —100BaseTX—> HughesNet router —> Internet

This configuration yields this result, varying between 47.5 and 48.5 Mbps Download at various times.

There is an option on the HughesNet to changed how “video” is handled. Here is what that control panel looks like:

and here are some testing results, NOT with the Peplink in the system:

Since we are in the 20-day no charge period I did some research on HD versus SD (Video Saver)

1. Set to “Snooze” runs HD: AMZ Fire stick on Netflix 1 hour HD = 3.3 GB (Full HD great video/sound)

2. Set to “Video Saver” runs SD: AMZ Fire stick on Netflix 1 hour HD-over SD = 1.6 GB (Pretty good video, better than SD normally is… audio good.)

When you do Videos on Computer (You Tube, embedded on HTTPS) you get the following results:

1.  Set to “Video Saver” mode. You Tube: The USAF Band - 2014 Holiday Flash Mob 6 minute normally HD now playing in SD mode (You Tube sets back) Audio fine, Video @ 360p – poor images. Use is 30 Mbyte of data for the six-minute program. (300 MB per Hour)

2.  Set to “Snooze (HD)” mode. You Tube: The USAF Band - 2014 Holiday Flash Mob 6 minute now playing in HD mode (You Tube sets back) Audio fine, Video @ 720p – high quality images. Use is 120 Mbyte of data for the six-minute program. (1.2 GB per Hour)

3. Test results above using computer HTTPS comes out to 4 times more video. On the Fire Stick comes out to be closer to 2X more data video. And this is relative.

4. So watching an hour of videos on the computer = 300 MB in the 50 GB allowance, if that was ALL one did that would make the 50 GB last for 167 hours (5.5 hours a day per month). I think between us both it is unlikely that we will do that much “video time”. Non Video Browsing is less consumption, like email, etc.

So the HD setting uses MORE compression, and the SD or “Video Saver” mode does less compression … I suspect ANY compression is not liked by the Balance 30 given the 50% reduction in throughput.