Balance 210 and Starlink Speed?

I have a Balance 210 Generation 4.
I noticed my SpeedFusion speed when going over the starlink wan is only about 60 mbps, so I thought I’d do a little troubleshooting with speeds not routed over the speedfusion tunnel to start:

Laptop - starlink ethernet adapter: 120 mbps (one test peak speed 200+ mbps)
Laptop - Balance 210 - Starlink Ethernet Adapter: 80 mbps
Laptop - gigabit switch - Starlink Ethernet Adapter: 110 mbps
Laptop - Balance 210 - gigabit switch - Starlink Ethernet Adapter: 80 mbps
Laptop - Balance 210 - 100 mbps dsl: 95 mpbs

Lights show gigabit speed (green light on)

Any ideas on why I’m dropping 30-40 mbps on the starlink wan even when using a switch inline?

Ahoy!

Have you tried testing from a local device to rule out any other issues?
Maybe a point-2-point test? Check out Lan Speed Test for example. (Totusoft | LAN Speed Test)

Also, notice the specs online from the B210:

If running encryption, your speed of 60mpbs is most likely accurate. Also consider where you run the test to/from (and what sources).

What model of Starlink is this? Roam? Have you set MTU to 1500?
Have you tried Starlink over Wi-Fi and see any change?

We’ve seen some ethernet adapters fail, and also the main modems along with deteriorating performance.

Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks. Starlink is the square dish residential at its registered address. Will check mtu and test with starlink wifi too - thanks!

Speedfusion runs at 75 mbps encrypted over the dsl testing right now, so I’m in the ballpark with the starlink speedfusion speed, but am just losing around 15 mbps (compared, if that’s the cpu max) even though the speedtest on starlink shows 20 mbps faster than the dsl without speedfusion…

The dsl latency is 18-20 ms and the starlink is 35-62 ms.

I wonder if the starlink latency variability would limit speedfusion throughput even with more cpu on a higher-end model?

Added: without speedfusion I can get 95-100 mbps running the balance on the 100 mbps dsl, so the balance cpu shouldn’t be limiting the starlink from 120 down to 80 with no speedfusion…

Something to keep in mind is the way Starlink works - especially over Speedfusion.

Professor P made a brilliant video about this recently:

1 Like