Back-hauling solution

Dear Peplink & Forum
This question is directed at design engineers please.

We have an NOC with a lot of fiber Internet bandwidth. We have several remote sites, so we want to back-haul internet and IP addressing to the remotes from the main NOC. how can this be done using Peplink devices?

Before now, what we do is, get a layer2 service from third party from our NOC to the various remotes and then pass our internet bandwidth and IPs to the remote sites via their network also using WAN optimization devices so we can squeeze in more into the layer 2 pipes, the whole setup is crazily expensive.

I am sure there is some way Peplink device can help us simplify issues in this senerio, even if we have to get a small satellite services at the remote for online access to the Peplink devices at remote and then backhaul the internet and IP from our NOC to our remote sites. The main goal here is to send our ‘plenty’ internet at main NOC to our remote sites, IP address is also very important.

I can explain further is specific explanation is needed.

Hope I get a response.

1 Like

Hi,
We support Layer 2 PepVPN profiles on our devices and have a good number of MSPs doing exactly what you describe. They have a pool of public IP addresses at a datacenter and then using a balance router there and any of our other devices at the remote location (the choice of both based on the amount of connectivity required, sized by throughput and the number of supported VPN peers), they can present these public IPs to customer firewall devices at the remote site.

I wrote about something similar recently here Emergency L2 WAN Replacement Using Cellular SD-WAN – Martin Langmaid – SDWAN Architect

Here is an example network diagram.

1 Like

@MartinLangmaid

Thanks alot for your vivd explanation. This is the second time you are providing an amazing solution for me, I appreciate a lot.

Your answer, perfectly solves the IP addressing issues, and even though I’ll still need a bit more knowledge to integrate to my network topology, I know it’ll work fine. But most importantly now is, how about back-hauling the internet access to the remote site? As I pointed earlier, it’s really the main deal here. The main goal here is to send our ‘plenty’ internet at main NOC to remote sites, so we can use the internet at NOC in the remote also.

May I quickly add this also, I am guessing Peplink has some certification and training programme right? how can I find out more and get some training please? I think I am under utilizing the Peplink devices and limiting them to only backups and fail-overs.

1 Like

Hi - I’m glad to be of help :slight_smile:

So the design above not only allows the remote customer firewall (the green device connected to the LAN of the HD4 in the picture) to use one of your public IPs from your datacenter, but by design all customer internet access goes over the Layer 2 PepVPN and exits out to the internet via your datacenter’s gateway router.

If you are a Peplink Partner you can access the online training portal and view training material for the Peplink Certified Engineer certification - thats a good place to start. http://www.peplink.com/partners/peplink-certification-program/#pce

1 Like

So what you’re saying basically is, all the internet combined and IPs can be available at the clients premises (Fiber at NOC and Satellite internet/or any other internet that brings the remote peplink device alive) via the layer 2 peplink VPN. I also checked and saw that it’s a packet level bonding… wow that’s interesting.

I think what I urgently need now is to go through the Peplink certification/training process to get familiar with these configurations and design solutions. I’ll follow the link you sent, however I am not a partner yet.

I should try and get some gear to demo this soon. Do you (or any one else) mind if I run my design through you?

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciate.

1 Like