B One - Impressive Capability with Incredible Value

Any early user testing or feedback on this new model?

What product class and hardware rev does this belong? It is not listed in downloads.
Never mind, I found it here.

They just started shipping Feb 1st. I have one on order, so in 1-2 weeks you should start to see feedback on it.

2 Likes

FYI: User Manual has nothing on Wi-Fi as WAN.
Update: The feature used to be called “Wi-Fi as WAN”. It is now called “Wi-Fi WAN”. I didn’t get the memo on the name change. So, I searched the PDF for the original name and came up mostly empty (just one throw-away reference). Yes, its there under the new name.

1 Like

It appears to be in this User Manual link.

8.2 Cellular WAN, Pg. 60
8.3 Wi-Fi WAN, Pg. 66

Update: The following text is listed on the 5G B One page.

Key B One Benefits
WiFi WAN over 2.4 or 5GHz for easily connecting to nearby WiFi sources to use an additional WAN connection

Upgrading from the previous Surf SOHO?
After purchasing the B One from 5G, send your Surf SOHO config file and include your Invoice number for your B One. We will convert the config from Surf SOHO to B One and email it back to you (should take around 1-2 business days).

1 Like

I love the price point of the B One. I can’t wait for it to have local Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi as a WAN as options. I’ll sell the heck out of those!

up

I’m curious to know when the B One 5G version will be available??? Thanks!

1 Like

We heard March from our supplier in Europe.

Yes, it is available in the UK.

WAN connections:

Cellular
WAN 1
WAN 2
Wi-Fi WAN on 2.4 GHz
Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz
VLAN WAN 1

We have been using the Balance 20x and its been a great router, now this looks like another great one for us but does this really only do 3 OpenVPN users versus 15 on the 20X?

how much bandwidth can this handle on the internal 5G interface? the 20x was crippled at 100mbps regardless of the modem installed, connected via usb, or the slot in back.

1 Like

The SoC (ARM 64bit) in the B One is probably the same as the BR1 Pro/BR2 Pro, seeing the performance specs and Wifi 6 are 1-to-1 apart from the 2,5GbE WANs (which can’t really be utilized fully with the 1Gbps router performance).

So I am expecting the same 5G performance as those units. The B One 5G is not out yet in EU, so we haven’t been able to test it yet.

The internal modems are all M.2 (PCIe) based for the past years.

The B20X uses an older and more limited SoC (ARM 32bit). Where the internal bus for the module is probably limited due to available PCIe lanes of the SoC.

I’ve ted in on Three UK, with the G42 antenna.

1 Like

Any updates on availability for the B One 5G model for the USA market? I need to upgrade from my SOHO and would like to have 5G failover capability since I’ll be transitioning from ultra slow ATT Uverse to Starlink.

Hello, all. US-based non-techie consumer here - not a seller.

Two questions:

1. is The Peplink B One router compatible with any brand and model of modem?

2. is the Peplink B One compatible with Comcast Xfinity home streaming and home internet Services?

I’ve just asked a seller these very questions but now realize I should’ve posted them here.

Will appreciate any info!

@keowiz : We are expecting to see this product sometime in Q2. Generally, the most common threat to a timely release of product is the snails’ pace at which the cel carriers perform their “certifications.” Let me know via PM if you’d like a quote or more information.

@S_K : The answers to your questions are “yes” and “probably.” Unless Comcast is doing something new and really wacky I cannot imagine why it would care what router is in use. One would place the B One directly behind the carrier’s modem and connect it with a common ethernet cable. We have used a variety of Peplink routers with Comcast – with modems Comcast has furnished, we’ve supplied and those owned by customers. The ethernet interface, which is a well-documented standard, makes it quite easy.

2 Likes

Really like the performance specs and value of this!

One minor question, and I had the same question on the Balance 2 before:
What is the idea of the status lights being on one side and the ports on the other (back/front?)

I generally want to see my port lights on a router/switch, so that means the status light will now be facing a wall with this one?

Do most people now put their ports facing the back?

Well after speaking with my sales manager, he did indeed confirm that the B One, OpenVPN connections, is limited to 3, which unfortunately won’t work for some of my clients that rely on multiple connections for remote workers.

For my install the status lights are wrong no matter what side they choose. At least they give you serial number stickers in the box and this cool peplink velcro :slight_smile:

The bigger issue for me is power and ethernet being on the same side. I keep my entire cabinet with power on the right and ethernet on the left. I’m sure every install is unique :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hoping someone can clarify this further for me. When the specs say “Maximum 3 PPTP/L2TP/OpenVPN Users” does that mean I can only create 3 users or that I can only have 3 concurrent VPN sessions?

1 Like