AT&T Unlimited issues with Pepwave BR1

We are a marine towing company that uses Pepwave BR1 for our cellular modems. We recently swapped from Verizon Mobile Share to AT&T Unlimited

Ever since the swap, the internet will randomly stop working on the PCs (all Windows 10). We can still ping Google’s DNS and directly. Webpages will not load. Web browser will pop up a message saying firewall or antivirus is blocking the connection. Turning off firewall and AV does not resolve the issue.

I initially changed the DNS server in the WAN Cellular settings to Google’s, and

This got the internet working so I thought the issue was resolved. However, the problem kept occuring.

We have to reboot the modem everytime this occurs to get the internet working again. I’m not sure if the issue is the APN or what.

Has anyone else been through this?

Unfortunately, this is a known issue on these AT&T plans, not specific to any device/vendor. There is a lengthy discussion in this post, and also a link to the AT&T forums where folks around the country have weighed in about the same issue when using other devices.

1 Like

I went looking around after making this post and found your resolution. Have reached out to my AT&T Business rep to look into this and referenced that forum post. Thanks for the reply

My analysis of this has been that the hardware doing the interception of http and https traffic to evaluate it for Stream Saver video bandwidth limiting is touchy and goes AWOL intermittently.

If you have a speedfusion tunnel you should not see any impact, as that traffic can’t be intercepted and ID’d as video (netflix, yahoo, etc)

If you have a plan where you can disable stream saver (unlimited elite) or prepaid (Unlimited Plus) then this may also remove the issue.

1 Like

We do have the option as I believe we are on Unlimited Elite. I will try this and report back with the results. Thanks so much!

I set a sim to not have stream saver, it still hangs up every now and then with the hardware that is intercepting 80 and 443… so running all essential connections through a SF tunnel (cloud or FH) is the only way to keep the flaky AT&T systems out of our data stream.

I had stream saver off and it was still happening.

That is what I see too… but the problem is linked only to port 80 and 443 so it is AT&T’s intercept hardware. SF tunnels are the only guarantee of bypassing their problem hardware.

I’d suggest filing FCC complaints, etc. This has been going on since June. Someone needs to apply pressure on them to fix.