AT&t SIM issues with 5G

Are you getting data?

Not sure what we’re looking at here; the conversation is in regards to AT&T pre-paid with Peplink hardware, not a phone.

I am at art right now and just found out that all prepaid data will NOT give you 5G service only postpaid plans will give you 5G

AT&T website for pre-paid data plans clearly states 5G.

@Brad_Benz Have you received an update on your ticket? I have not, we are approaching 2 months waiting on certification.

I have a MAX BR1 MK2, I used a Google Fi data-only sim in it starting in 2019, and in 2020 they cut me off while I was out of the country. It worked fine with local sims in the Caribbean. Now we just returned to the US, and the Fi sim no longer works (not an account problem, the voice/data sim in an Android phone works fine now). We bought an ATT Prepaid 100GB, works great in an iPad, doesn’t work in the MAX. So right now I can’t get anything to work in the MAX. What are other people using??

Tmobile and Verizon data sims work in the Transit 5G. AT&T prepaid should work in you max br1 mk2. make sure you are setting the APN to broadband.

“should” is a magical word. In fact the MAX BR1 MK2 won’t even recognize the ATT prepaid sim at all, won’t load it.

That’s weird because that AT&T prepaid plan works in my MAX BR1 MK2. I haven’t used it much because I basically signed up for one month to confirm that it’s a usable option when I need it in my RV. I got the SIM from a store, popped it in and it works great.

Thanks for that. I just tried again, no luck. Won’t recognize the ATT sim. I pulled it back out and put it in an iPad, no problem. So for the time being I’m abandoning my MAX BR1 MK2 because no sim works in it, and in the US I can use iPads and spare phones as hotspots with Fi and ATT…I guess I’ll have to figure it out again in November when we go back to the Caribbean…

I’ve been discussing which SIM to get here: Want Verizon and ATT SIMs in West Coast USA - #9 by soylentgreen

I just purchased an ATT 5G SIM on their Prepaid $35/15GB plan, put it in the Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini (firmware 8.1.2) and… it just got stuck on “Obtaining IP address.” All SIM settings were defaulted to “Auto”.

On a lark, I forced Cellular Settings to Custom and set the APN to nxtgenphone and suddenly it works!

So I’m guessing there is some problem with the 5G ATT SIMs where the Peplink can’t figure out the proper APN?

Question: Is nxtgenphone the proper APN to use?

The issue with the transit 5G and AT&T, is that the transit 5g has not been certified by AT&T. We were told by support it would take a week to certify. That was 8 weeks ago. Just tried changing APN to nxtgenphone, Still no connection. broadband is the APN that woks on other peplink devices.

It took me 3 days and countless techs… BUT IT IS THE SIM of the provider not your device. I don’t know the details, but the 5G sim card is NOT compatible with peplink 3g/4g routers… only real 4G sims will work.

In this photo, on the left is a 5G sim and it DID not work. On the right is a 4G sim and we have 5 br1 mini cores and they all came to life after it was installed properly. Make note of the UPC and call stores seeing if they did have them. My local one has a cache of them and I bought 25 of them for the coming projects with clients.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the SIM I got from the AT&T store for the 100 GB prepaid plan was the white 5G type and it worked just fine in my Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2.

I don’t think I have the full card anymore so I can’t check the UPC but I’m pretty confident of my memory.

Just checking that AT&T still does not work in a max transit 5G? The sim I have for a 100GB prepaid plan does not connect, continually resets.

I just received the following message on my peplink support ticket. Since many users are using prepaid data plans, where do I show this is not correct?

"Travis Durick Replied at 15 Jul 2021 15:51

Kevin - I’m sorry this wasn’t mentioned earlier, but prepaid plans won’t work with routerdevices, AT&T specifically restricts these plans to the devices they are included with - hotspots and tablets. This is nothing that our device certification can impact. While they may seem quite similar, AT&T has a clear distinction between a router and a hotspot.

You would need to purchase an IoT or router plan, which I’m sure you will find have a very different price and amount of data included.

That is garbage! a hotspot is a router… ATT just wants to screw people by overcharging power users for what is functionally identical service. 100GB consumed through a router puts identical “load” on their infrastructure as that of a hotspot. Data is Data. Its not like the router is using voice and SMS and other services… ridiculous

I’ll mention that we and at least three of our customers/clients (that I know of) have AT&T prepaid plans termed “hotspots and tablets” working perfectly with Peplink routers and this has been the case for two years or more. (I am not referring to the $20 “tablet plan” – that’s different.) In fact, one of those pre-paid AT&T SIMs is one of the ones we use to test devices with – I’ll bet it has been in 50 Peplink routers over the two or so years we’ve had it activated.

@Travis has vast experience in this and I don’t doubt his conclusion for a second. However, you you may want to take this as another “data point.” We’ve found the carriers implement their policies inconsistently and AT&T is probably the worst (in the USA) in that regard. (And, I completely agree with @erickufrin’s view.)

3 Likes

Wish there were a way that peplink could get a pepwave to be an AT&T / Verizion / T-mobile approved device that small businesses and customers could simply buy a good data plan for with a couple clicks.

1 Like

Any updates on getting this working → AT&T post Paid Sim with Max Transit 5G?

I went into the AT&T store and they got it working by setting up my IMEI as a iPhone and not a hotspot. However, I travelled up to Canada and after contacting support about roaming data, they changed it back to a hotspot and it will no longer connect to the network at all.