AP One Mini Throughput Speeds

I replaced a Linksys Velop Sytem with on my Max BR2 with 2 AP one Mini’s today. Everything came up working out of the box beautifully. I was getting 100+ mbs down on Lan direct connect and through Velop prior to this. Now I’m getting 15-20 down. Upspeeds do not seem to be affected, nor do ping speeds.

I have to think there is a “magic” setting that will help me to gain parity with Velop.

Anyone have ideas? AP One Mini’s are still in factory mode. Ping is great, download speeds are not.

15-20 mbps sounds like it could be due to a few different issues

1. is the device connecting to the AP on 5GHz wifi or 2.4GHz?
  2. which AP are you connecting to? Perhaps your device is on the farther AP?
  3. does the AP have 10, 100, or 1000 mbps ethernet?

To answer #1 and #2: On your peplink controller, go to AP then Wireless Client, you will see a list of clients, showing whether they are connecting on 802.11ac (5Ghz) or 802.11ng (2.4GHz) as well as the RSSI (signal strength) and which of your two APs is being connected to. It looks something like this:

To check that your AP is getting full ethernet speeds, go to Status / Ethernet Ports and click on the port(s) to see the speeds:

If devices are using 2.4GHz (802.11ng) when they should be using 5GHz, you can enable Band Steering:

This is found under AP / Wireless SSID / [click your SSID] / [click the ? icon for advanced features]

This is excellent information, thank you!

AP is connected via ethernet. I have tracked this to the PoE switch I was using. Removing that from the physical setup solved the speed issue.

I am planning to add some mesh APs as well so the information above will be very useful.

Thanks!

1 Like