AP Management (Balance One vs Incontrol)

Is it possible to manage access points with BOTH Balance One and Incontrol?

Originally I set up several APs and managed them thru Incontrol. I liked the Incontrol interface because it would show which clients are connected to each AP.

About a week ago I decided to configure things to let the Balance One manage the APs. Now the APs show up as “expiring soon” on Incontrol and all the clients appear to be direct-connected (not wireless).

In order to determine which clients are actually wireless, I must log into the Balance One. The Balance One interface is very clunky and it’s not easy to find the wireless clients. The standard “Client List” link still shows everything as a hard-wired connection. In order to find the actual wireless clients, I must click on “AP -> Usage” and then click the little “person” icon on the AP line.

It took me a while to figure this out. Worse yet, the client listing only shows the MAC address and IP address (not the hostname).

Why can’t you show a wireless connection in the normal “Client List” link?

Am I missing something or is there a better way to do this?

When accessing my Balance One routers, I seem to be able to use BOTH direct access and Incontrol. Why can’t I do the same with my APs?

Hi,

It took me a while to figure this out. Worse yet, the client listing only shows the MAC address and IP address (not the hostname).

This was will rectified in v6.2 GA.

Why can’t you show a wireless connection in the normal “Client List” link?

This is AP Controller behavior. You will only see wireless clients if they are connected via SSID that provided by Balance One. Anyway you have bring out a good point. I will feedback to product team to take consideration.

Fyi, AP only can manages either by AP Controller or InControl2. AP Controller will has higher priority if both also turn on AP management.